Page 5 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Age (formerly Double Fine Adventure) (Finally complete!)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Hero View Post
    but self-funding/crowdsource-funding has been a meaningful way to make projects go well before this" because from experience I know TONS of people who self publish books/get games off the ground this way.
    This isn't the same as what's going on with Double Fine, whether you agree or not. That's the point. There's a difference between an independent studio coming up with a couple thousand dollars to make something and a major studio giving publishers the bird by raising three quarters of a million dollars in less than 24 hours. How you don't understand this is baffling. It's about more than money.

2. i just hope this game winds up being pretty good and not complete design by committee stuff

3. Quote Originally Posted by No One View Post
    This isn't the same as what's going on with Double Fine, whether you agree or not. That's the point. There's a difference between an independent studio coming up with a couple thousand dollars to make something and a major studio giving publishers the bird by raising three quarters of a million dollars in less than 24 hours. How you don't understand this is baffling. It's about more than money.
    Right, it's not the birth of a new thing, it's a landmark for that new thing.

4. They've more than doubled their goal in less than a day.

Also, almost 400K of that came from just the $15 and $30 levels.
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

5. They're just about to hit a million.

6. They're going to break the all-time Kickstarter funding record in 24 hours.

Tim Schafer's Twitter: "$955k! Guys, I'll make you a deal. If we hit $980k I'll add RTS elements to the game! And if we hit $1M, I'll take them back out!"

BUT EVEN MORE AWESOME, Chris "Torment" Avellone is apparently interested in this sort of thing for an old-school RPG. http://twitter.com/#!/chrisavellone

7. You know this is a great way to make piracy irrelevant too...

8. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    i just hope this game winds up being pretty good and not complete design by committee stuff
    There is literally no committee other than Double Fine's to get in the way of this project. That's kind of the point of raising the money with Kickstarter v. traditional publishers.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is literally no committee other than Double Fine's to get in the way of this project. That's kind of the point of raising the money with Kickstarter v. traditional publishers.
    That's not what he's talking about at all. He's saying that he hopes they'll make something which is fun and worth playing and isn't generic and bland gameplay designed to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.

10. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    That's not what he's talking about at all. He's saying that he hopes they'll make something which is fun and worth playing and isn't generic and bland gameplay designed to appeal to as wide an audience as possible.
    But there's no incentive to do that. It's been presold based solely on an association with a bunch of old PC games. While, yes, I'm sure they hope to sell a few more copies after its made, there's really no one to pander to here, and I think the voice is speaking rather loudly that they want a real adventure game and that's quite the point,
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 09 Feb 2012 at 06:30 PM.