Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 46789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: Broken Age (formerly Double Fine Adventure) (Finally complete!)

1. Today's paradigm supports hijacking of public goodwill. It won't be so easy in the future when the TALENT sees that they don't need a middleman.

Why can't adventure games stay 2D? They don't need stupid control schemes or millions of polys to tell a good story.

Adventure games get screwed because of the internet. People don't like to be stuck and will look up a walkthrough when they get stuck, meaning the game will be over quickly. After that it has no replay value at all.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Why can't adventure games stay 2D? They don't need stupid control schemes or millions of polys to tell a good story.
    I think a large percentage of them have. Machinarium, Vampyre Story, Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, A New Beginning, Puzzle Agent...

I wouldn't be shocked if this Double Fine game was planned as a 2D game, given the meager budget they were asking for, but it also wouldn't shock me if they rethink the scope of the project in light of their new found fortunes.

Adventure games get screwed because of the internet. People don't like to be stuck and will look up a walkthrough when they get stuck, meaning the game will be over quickly. After that it has no replay value at all.
    Or that its replay is more akin to a movie than a game. Which is fine.

I do think the genre has made some advancements when it comes to helping a stuck player along without blowing the game completely. If you could beat some of those old-school Sierra games without ANY FAQs or hints, you were a real champ.

The Sierra games were bullshit designed to fuck with players and get them killed. I didn't mind so much because deaths were awesome, but not doing something in the first 1/3rd of the game should not fuck you over hours later.

Then again, having bite-sized areas where items are gained, used and discarded was my main issue with Full Throttle and every pos Telltale game.

Full-Throttle was still a thousand times better than any TT game. I want to shred some bunnies in the giant truck's engine.

Point is I don't know what I want, but MI 1 and 2 were close to my perfect standard.
    My Backloggery

5. The perfect standard until the end of Monkey 2, anyway. I'm STILL irritated about that crock of shit.

I hated a lot of Monkey Island 2's puzzles. Giving a monocle to a guy who wants an eye? Using a monkey to fix a pump? What the fuck!?

Oh and let's not forget the card catalogue maze arrrrrgh.

7. I always liked Curse the best, except the ending kind of sucked.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    I hated a lot of Monkey Island 2's puzzles. Giving a monocle to a guy who wants an eye? Using a monkey to fix a pump? What the fuck!?

Oh and let's not forget the card catalogue maze arrrrrgh.
    The eye thing made sense. The monkey was a wrench! Monkey wrench. It made sense, I swear! You do the metronome banana thing to be a dick, but once you have it you're like hmmm.

And yeah the end was fat bullshit, so disappointing.
    My Backloggery

Puzzle solutions relying on puns are terrible. I am reminded of Runaway's godawful peanut butter puzzle that involved mixing butter and peanuts together. In a helmet. Despite also having a bucket in the inventory. In order to get ants to eat a wooden shack so you could get some explosives stored inside. Despite having a crowbar in the inventory.

Put my 15$ down.

I wonder if I could start a kickstarter to get a halftrack. There is an old busted ww2 in a field 2 hours form here. Guy wants 5500 for it. I could probably buy and restore it for 13-17 k