Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starship Troopers- To see or not to see...

1. Starship Troopers- To see or not to see...

I've heard people cap on Starship Trooper quite a bit, but I've also heard support from odd places (Moby, for example.) I'm wondering wether I should see this flick or not. I read the book I found it both polemical and overrated (I'm sorry, but Heinline isn't hitting on all cylanders here.) Why I'm tinking I should is Paul Verhoven's involvment. Verhoven has made films that, while cheesy action on one level, are actually quite deep to the trained eye. Robocop, for example. Is the same true here?
    "Max: Should I confront, subdue, and pummel the suspected perpetrator Sam?
    Sam: Sick 'em up little buddy."

-Sam & Max, Freelance Police

2. It's about as deep as a bath tub. Its got some great action scenes if I remember correctly.

3. Originally posted by arjue
    It's about as deep as a bath tub. Its got some great action scenes if I remember correctly.
    Poo on you... POO I SAY! :P Verhoeven is THE FUCKING MAN, and he's at the top of his game in ST. On top of being one of my favorite 'action fix' movies, it's a great satire of wartime propaganda films. And the DVD has one of the only director commentary tracks I've actually enjoyed listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

Re: Starship Troopers- To see or not to see...

Originally posted by Lagomorph
    I've heard people cap on Starship Trooper quite a bit, but I've also heard support from odd places (Moby, for example.) I'm wondering wether I should see this flick or not. I read the book I found it both polemical and overrated (I'm sorry, but Heinline isn't hitting on all cylanders here.) Why I'm tinking I should is Paul Verhoven's involvment. Verhoven has made films that, while cheesy action on one level, are actually quite deep to the trained eye. Robocop, for example. Is the same true here?
    Go see it Come on it has Denise Richards in it, and yeah it is pretty funny and some pretty cool action scenes, Saw it the day it came out and the audience actually gave it a standing ovation...

5. It's got boobies too!

And a few decapitations/meltings/shootings/brain suckings. And a co-ed shower.

6. Well, I think it as a great movie. I seen it in theaters 3 times , and I'm a big Paul Verhooven fan.

Sure, the Heinlein orginal story is used just as backdrop, and the acting of some actors in here is not the best. But its very fun to watch. Excellent FX work, even after 5 years, it looks amazing, those bugs on the screen look real. Ferocius action scenes, very gory(and this is a major film that doesnt shy of displaying blood and gore, that many other cope out of), and also has some nudity, like it mentioned by above posters

But it also has some of the smae style satirical approach like in Robocop, but this time directed forward military, and the way the Earth federation is portraited is in even somewhat Nazi way, even with simular uniform look.

So, I say you got to see it today. Very cool film that cant be missed. Just dont listen to many nay sayers, maybe some of these guys lost ability to simply have fun

7. Book = absolutely nothing like the movie. Although it would have been cool to see the personal armor/rocket packs that was standard issue in the book. Its a good popcorn film, but don't expect to find any deep meaning in it(other than the similarities to WWII). I'm suprised a sequel was never made.

Johnny Guest
    It's essentially a B movie with a large budget. I really liked the movie because it wasn't trying to pass itself off as a piece of brilliant cinema, and delivered on some great action with all the cheese intact.

9. Go rent it! I saw it in the theater and found it to be entertaining due to the nice battle scenes.

10. I think I came across the wrong way...

It's worth renting, but its plot isn't overly complex.