Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 212141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

1. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I know I'm late responding to this, but it stood out. You do make a good point showing that a majority of football players are black.

There's an argument in regards to baseball that there isn't enough black players involved in the the MLB and going about ways to make the sport more integrated. The fact of the matter is that the percentage of black players in the MLB is roughly the same of the percentage of black people in the United States total (something like 11%) and you mix that in with the percentage of white non Hispanic players in the league (which is probably much lower than the percentage among the US population base because of all the Hispanic players) and it really doesn't look so bad. I'm very far from saying that racism in employment markets doesn't exist in the US, but sometimes we miss the bigger picture.

As far as affirmative action, I still view it as a racist program. This may not be the best example, but I found it to be interesting. My wife and I were watching American History X recently. A scene towards the end of the movie has Edward Norton's father talking about how the fire company had to hire several black men over white men even though they didn't score as high on their tests (or something of the like). My wife immediately blurted out "Well, hiring the black guys over the better white guys sounds pretty racist to me" (my wife is black in case anybody has missed that over the years). I think such programs do far more to segregate people and make certain minorities appear less capable of achieving goals without help. I get the reasoning behind all of it, but I don't agree at all with the ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Gohron, just a heads up - that's just a movie. The real world doesn't work like a movie.
    Precisely. Stuff like that doesn't happen in the real world. Because that would be terribly inconvenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

2. That news article didn't tell me jack shit and was poorly written, one-sided, and filled with comments like these:

Quote Originally Posted by Truth, on the Fox 5 site
    Blacks are the most evil, vile, spiteful and vengeful people on the planet. Theire history is one of chaos and depression. Americans should stay away from them. Let them have their neigborhoods and areas, and just leave them alone. They are a primitive people and will never be able to run with mainstram society, no matter how much the liberal elite tells us they can. And the blacks know this. They are slaves to the democrat party and are at their will until the party no longer needs them.
    The FDNY actually has gotten in trouble before because of discriminatory hiring tests. Except, discriminatory towards minorities.

TNL needs better right wingers.

3. Ah, fuck. I didn't see that someone wrote something terrible in the comment section, and I didn't even consider that the article itself wasn't written to your literary standards. That invalidates the entire thing!
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    People who paid nothing don't get refunds.
    False.
    [The EIC is] not welfare.
    Yes, it is.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=2505
    "In 2010, the EITC lifted about 6.3 million people out of poverty, including about 3.3 million children. The number of children living in poverty would have been one-quarter higher without the EITC."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earned_income_tax_credit
    "Today, the EITC is one of the largest anti-poverty tools in the United States (despite the fact that most income measures, including the poverty rate, do not account for the credit)."

For 2011 the maximum EIC amount is $5751, so a $10K return by Shaniqua and her Three Children with Three Different Last Names includes other things, primarily the Child Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit. As far as receiving EIC without paying anything into it, a Head of Household filer with three children and income of up to $23300 ($8500 + $14800), and a Married Filing Joint couple with three children and income up to $26400 ($11600 + $14800) will have $0 taxable income. So, if Shaniqua has her three children and earned income of $16700, she will receive $5751 EIC and have $0 in tax liability. A refund without paying anything.

If you get a $10K EITC, and you make $40,000
    Impossible. The EIC table is in the 1040 instructions and IRS Publication 596. The highest EIC possible at $40000 earned income is MFJ with three children, yielding $1906.

freelance income is taxed period. If I made $5, I'd have to pay taxes on it.
    False, assuming that by this you are referring to self employment income. As per instructions under Line 4 of 1040 Schedule SE, you are not liable for self employment tax if net self employment earnings is within $433 ($400 divided by 92.35%).

Listen. This is how the EIC Ghetto Tax Return game is played.

Self Employment / Schedule C income is included under the term "earned income" for purposes of EIC. A person walks into an H&R Block office and says that they are self employed; most commonly, as a barber or a stylist. Three Social Security cards are presented to identify the child dependents. The preparer asks all of the pertinent questions and the person gives the right answers - yes, the children lived with me all year; no, I don't have any receipts with me; yes, I earned something like $1000 per month or so, I don't know exactly. The preparer enters all of this information and discussion into the system. The preparer explicitly asks to confirm that all of the information given is truthful. The person affirms. The return is finished and, after accounting for Self Employment taxes, the Federal Tax Return is a few thousand dollars. How nice. The preparer has the person sign several forms to verify everything. The person gladly does so. Is the RAL declined? If not, awesome, that check is there by the next day. Otherwise, oh, there was an issue with the bank or the Treasury Department, whatever, within a week or two the check is here anyway.

And that person walks away with a $5000 check in hand with little more than his word as his basis for receiving it.

This was even better in the heady days of a few years ago when the return chains offered the pre-filing loans. Here's $1000 now with higher finance charges than the standard RAL - you'll get the rest when you bring in your actual W2 instead of that check stub. Get approved for it by H&R Block? Great. Go to Jackson Hewitt and do the same. Two for two? Great, let's go to Liberty and hit them up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    the months of February and March ... We refer to it as Ghetto Christmas
    It really is.

Walmart requires employees to undertake Computer Based Learning (CBL) on a regular basis. When I sat to do mine, I had a bit of time to linger and poked around their inside information to talk about upcoming retail events and the like. They had a section about the upcoming tax season. Employees are instructed to expect customers to buy more high end merchandise, video games, and new TVs and the like during the season. Sales of these products are coordinated with this expectation in mind.

There's no other way to expect it all to play out. A legit EIC recipient gets a $5000 refund. This means that they had earned income of around $15000 tops and have a few children. This means that they lack the good judgment enough to know that one should not have children without the means to financially support them. This means that the person receives a singular amount which is approximately one third of all that they have earned in the previous twelve months. An unscrupulous parent suddenly receives a large windfall of money. You don't need to guess - you already know - what most of them are going to do with it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by dog$ View Post
    False, assuming that by this you are referring to self employment income. As per instructions under Line 4 of 1040 Schedule SE, you are not liable for self employment tax if net self employment earnings is within $433 ($400 divided by 92.35%).
    I don't think you're even required to file on shit under $600, or at least employers don't have to 1080 shit to people they've paid less than $600 in a year. So yeah, whatever, I was being silly when I said $5, but again it's not like payroll where you don't have to pay income taxes at all if you're in the lowest brackets.

Also, holy shit is your post racially uncomfortable, especially for a discussion that was thus far involving only brokedick white people.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 04 Mar 2012 at 12:13 AM.

6. I'm sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dwight-income-tax.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	64915  

Also, holy shit is your post racially uncomfortable, especially for a discussion that was thus far involving only brokedick white people.
    If it makes you feel better, poor white trash does almost the same thing. They buy slightly different vehicles, different cds and dvds, but the methods are the same.

replace TVs and xbox 360s with Jet Skies and guns from walmart.

Did he mention a specific race? I didn't see it when I read the post or when I glanced back at it just now.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

It's being inferred by the name I used in the example.

I shouldn't have bothered because there's nothing gained by the specificity of it and it's now distracting from the larger and more relevant points.

ps: You mean 1099s, Frog.

10. I think it's racist to assume one knows Shaniqua's race based on what little info we were given about her.