Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 515171819202123 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

Well, bigots are harassing minorities. We should end everything to stop that.

they'll still do it because they are bigots

2. Exactly. Back when the Deep South was functionally an apartheid state, did "the bigots" leave minorities alone? No, they strung them up on trees, killed them for looking at a white woman, set their homes on fire, etc. etc.

Fuck them. Talking about how we should do what they want because they are mean is like a kid saying that maybe he will stop being bullied if he gives the bully all his toys. It doesn't work like that.

3. I didn't read the entire thread.

The rich white kid from Sugar Land should have finished in the top 10% or scored better on her SAT/ACT if she wanted to go to that particular university. There are lots of other great schools in this state the kid could have attended but that damn entitlement mentality just wouldn't allow it! "I didn't work as hard as I should have despite my advantages of race, wealth and educational opportunity but I should still get in! It's not fair!"

Currently, public education is geared towards making kids with support systems successful. Kids with less adequate living situations and poor role models have more to deal with than the twenty math problems assigned for homework. Less support = lower grades = no college for you regardless of potential.

Standardized tests assume a set of prior knowledge that isn't available to all test takers (those from low socio-economic or limited English proficiency groups). Students who have never been to the gulf coast have much more trouble answering questions from a reading about the beach than kids who vacation there yearly. Admissions (and all of Texas' educational metrics) are based partly (mostly) on standardized test scores and these tests discriminate against certain subgroups. Different life experiences = lower test scores = no college for you regardless of potential.

If we're going to take race out of the process we need to increase the influence of other socio-economic factors in the admissions process. Life isn't equal but it can be more fair.

So the more qualified student is the one with the entitlement mentality?

The root cause is the parents. Figure out a way to fix them and stop trying to punish the responsible ones and their kids in the name of a twisted "fairness."
    Last edited by Yoshi; 11 Mar 2012 at 11:31 AM.

The white student is the one with the entitlement mentality.

6. He'll never see it that way. To him whites can do no wrong if it's against a minority.

Well. Then he's a dumbfuck, and part of the problem.

8. We've known that for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The white student is the one with the entitlement mentality.
    That's only true if he/she is outside the top X% when that number are admitted. Anyone who is not in that top X% and thinks they deserve anything has an entitlement mentality. Race has nothing to do with it.

Ramon's comment is just a bullshit personal attack.

10. She has those entitlement feelings. It's the only reason she's fighting it. That and blatant xenophobia and racism.