Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 717192021222325 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    By definition entitlement implies that it wasn't earned.
    Nowhere does this seem to be the case,

www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entitle

Definition of ENTITLE
    transitive verb
    : to give a title to : designate
    : to furnish with proper grounds for seeking or claiming something <this ticket entitles the bearer to free admission>

Quit using the GOP dictionary and pick up a real one. Deservedness never matters for entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    That's a whole different thread, largely unrelated to education.
    Not really, most shitty families have low education.

http://www.fvza.org/index.html

Way to look up the wrong part of speech. Entitlement: the right to guaranteed benefits under a government program, as Social Security or unemployment compensation OR the state of being entitled, where "entitled" is to give (a person or thing) a title, right, or claim to something; furnish with grounds for laying claim. Notice that earning anything does not show up anywhere in any of these.

And then you try to go off on a chicken and egg tangent. Education, or lack thereof, is not the root cause of the issue. It's called correlation, as opposed to causation.

3. Why don't we call them what they are? They are earned benefits. You know why? You work all of your life contributing for other people's shit. You should get it, too.

Social Security and unemployment are sort of that, though you don't get out what you put in, which you should. If I retire having never collected unemployment, I want a check with interest. Otherwise, it's just term insurance I'm being forced to buy and don't want.

5. If I'm forced to buy auto insurance, I'm fine being forced to pay unemployment insurance since it's more likely I'll be fired since I don't work than having to pay my own auto insurance for borrowing my dad's car maybe once a month.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    You should get it, too.
    so you feel entitled.

great.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    If I'm forced to buy auto insurance, I'm fine being forced to pay unemployment insurance since it's more likely I'll be fired since I don't work than having to pay my own auto insurance for borrowing my dad's car maybe once a month.
    I think you're only forced to buy auto insurance to cover the other guy, at least by law. Loans may require more to protect their collateral. So it's a bit of a different animal.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    so you feel entitled.

great.
    Hey, dumbfuck. If I pay for something for someone else, why shouldn't I get the same? Our generation supported baby boomers, a much larger group. If we can support them, we should be able to get at least the same benefits.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    Hey, dumbfuck. If I pay for something for someone else, why shouldn't I get the same? Our generation supported baby boomers, a much larger group. If we can support them, we should be able to get at least the same benefits.
    You think the government should give you something because you paid for it and it's fair? That's adorable.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Crying about affirmative action when you had no business getting one of the spots is just as bad (but no worse) than affirmative action giving the spot to someone who had no business getting it. I took Six's post to be speaking in general, not about this specific case.
    This. But she was as unqualified for guaranteed admission as the other kid. This smells like a kid/family that thinks they should get everything they want without having to earn it and are willing to go to court to get it (NO WAY people like that live in an affluent suburb of Houston!). "But, your Honor, it's NOT FAIR! We're RICH! We're SUPPOSED to get what we what!"

The college admissions process isn't a guaranteed deal (outside of the top 10% in Texas). If the kid wanted to get in to UT all she had to do was have a higher GPA than 540 other graduating seniors at her school (Fort Bend ISD high schools have about 2,500 kids each and I'm guessing 600 seniors or so). Complaining that she didn't work hard enough and someone else got in instead of her is just crybaby bullshit. Maybe her essay was crap. Maybe the university didn't care about her time as cheer captain and volunteer work with her church. Maybe there was someone who was more attractive to the school than her and that person just happened to be non-white (outrageous!!)

Too bad that the SCOTUS will probably use this as an opportunity to smash affirmative action admissions so we can go back to the halcyon days when only rich, white, land-owning males were admitted to universities. Guess she loses both ways.