Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 11212324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

1. Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    Donations are a pretty large part of school budgets. Just about every building and street on our campus is named after the high-dollar donors. The entomology department got $5m last year from an alumnus..
    I wonder how much of that comes from old money white people, and how much comes from the educated children of working class families.

Don't forget new money black people. Rod Woodson bought my alma mater a new football locker room that cost millions while I was there.

3. Are the lockers made of gold or something?

I think it's the actual building that houses the locker room attached to the stadium as well, but I always wondered the same.

I wonder if college buildings have to meet some fancy state spec requirements.

They always cost something stupid considering the square footage of most of them

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    We've found the link. Success is highly correlated with being an asshole. Or, more gently said, competitiveness is a very good trait to have.
    plenty of down trodden are competitive and/or assholes.

I still argue that it is mostly cultural. How people define the things around them, their perspective.

You can be the most competitive mother fucker on the block, but it does you no good if you are competing for bullshit and can't see past your neighborhood.

7. For two years I've been living off of scholarships. I took out a student loan before entering college. I now regret this course of action(student loans). There are so many scholarships out there for everyone. Hell, a celeb chef almost donated money to me to help me through college, but it turned out I didn't need it.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

how nice for you

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I wonder if college buildings have to meet some fancy state spec requirements.

They always cost something stupid considering the square footage of most of them
    It has to do with prestige. If someone donates a few mil, they don't want it to be some shithole with their name on it. As for the guy I linked above, I don't know whether he came from money or not. He started a pest control business that became one of the largest in the state.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    People shouldn't have to work as hard as him to be successful. I'm not saying people shouldn't work hard - I hate to tattle on my coworkers at the new place I'm at but it's amazing how much Facebook I see - just that I think it's unreasonable that someone should have to stress themselves out like that. More power to you if you DO work that hard, and you probably deserve more than other people. But that level of insanity is pretty much required if you start out in shitty circumstances.
    This is why this article was so roundly mocked when it was printed:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/quickerb...oor-black-kid/

Gene Marks is, by his own account, a complete mediocrity, and is white if his picture is real (and nobody would lie about that picture). Yet this white complete mediocrity was able to become a manager at KPMG, own a business, and write a bunch of books. While he admits to being mediocre, he still found the stones to write an article about how he would have been some sort of superman in the ghetto and rise above everyone else. Well, nobody mediocre in the ghetto ever becomes a manager at KPMG.