Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132325262728 LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I live my life expecting everyone NOT to live up to my standards.
    You don't really, if you're judging them as lessors. If you don't expect others to live up to your standards, there is no point in even judging them. Don't waste your time.

Or maybe you don't live up to your own standards and you just hate everyone and everything. You strike me as happier than that, so I assume otherwise.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Tones View Post
    I disagree with this. There's more to extracurricular activities than what the high school offers. Volunteering, working, and learning (I took a year of dance lessons in high school) make for more well-rounded students. Why would universities want these types of students? Well, for one, employers want to see well-roundedness from graduates. I can't count the amount of times that I have heard employers not caring about GPA: They want to see responsibility, leadership, adaptability, and any number of other life skills that come from outside of the academic atmosphere. Why does the university care about what employers want? Employed graduates pay back into the school.
    I won't say extracurriculars should count for zero. Actually they should be like the extra point- a deciding factor between two students who rank similarly on grades. I admit they can make a student more well-rounded, having done a few months of volunteering at an assisted living facility, and a couple years in the SADD chapter at my HS.

IMO the weight of grades should depend a bit on the applicant's target field. GPA should carry a little extra weight for someone who seeks a M.D. degree.

nah

4. What do you call the dude who graduates at the bottom of his med class?

Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    The alternative would be, I don't know ... humanists? I'm trying to think of a way to explain it without getting jocular. Here's a recent example, I guess and I apologize in advance for any rambling: When I left my position with Apple, they didn't have any information on whether I was still covered for medical expenses. I called UHC and they said end of the month so I got a physical. The doctor was concerned with a mole so I had it removed and tested (no cancer, thankfully). I also get an STD test every time I go for a physical no matter how soon ago the last one was, just in case. So extensive well-male exam, surgery and biopsy, bloodwork, urinalysis. Turns out coverage was ended effective to termination date - my bad for not checking the employee manual I have somewhere. So, respectively, we have $400, $800, $125, $75. $1400 is a drop in the bucket for me but one of my friends was like, "That's why I don't go to the doctor." He works through a temp agency as maintenance for some office/lab building. Perhaps he hasn't made the best choices in life, like many other people. I mentioned something about it around elitist buddy and he was like, "Then he should pay for health insurance." I got the COBRA thing in the mail and they want $500/month, which is laughable - my plan with vision and dental is like $230/month (granted, not as high a level as the continued Apple coverage, but still). But even $230/month is an expense some people can't afford. Or, without vision and dental, it's like $120/month and even that is too much. [I realize it's more expensive for family insurance.] Regardless of the decisions people make they still need to eat, have somewhere relatively safe to stay, and to be healthy. You know? I don't mind paying taxes to further those ends, even for ungrateful, unintelligent assholes who abuse my good will by spending $1000 on rims for their car instead of paying $120/month for health insurance. I'm still going to sit there and judge the fuck out of them and the elitist in me helps me to understand the counter-argument - real adults don't spend $1000 on rims and they should live by the choices they make, even if it means they starve (natural selection and all). I also understand the juxtaposition between considering myself a person of towering intellect, superior to the drooling masses, who somehow doesn't mind being taken advantage of by those same troglodytes via taxation.
    Thanks for typing that out. It really makes me realize that we are not very far apart, but there is a small but significant difference in where we draw the line. You draw it on the far side of the guy with the $1,000 rims. I draw it somewhere on this side of him. I suspect some of the reason you draw your line where you do is that it helps make it more black and white. My biggest struggle is how to help people who will deliver a return on my investment (not to me but to society) without helping the people who won't. That's obviously a lot more gray and, like any investment, won't be a winner every time. It's why I give thousands of dollars a year to children and animal charities. They are truly helpless, so it makes it easy to keep it black and white.

7. Racist.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Doctor
    Heh.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    You don't really, if you're judging them as lessors. If you don't expect others to live up to your standards, there is no point in even judging them. Don't waste your time.

Or maybe you don't live up to your own standards and you just hate everyone and everything. You strike me as happier than that, so I assume otherwise.
    I do it because it makes me feel even happier.

10. All humans are bags of shit.
    Those who think they're something more are delusional.