Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    What a strange thing to say.

This is like saying if I put a coaster under the short leg of a wobbly chair, after enough time it shouldn't wobble when I remove the coaster. Affirmative action compensates for the disadvantages minorities face, it doesn't fix them.
    Actually it was intended to fix them. The point was to get enough members of minority groups elevated into positions of power in society that discrimination becomes impractical. Affirmative action was never intended to be permanent.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    What a strange thing to say.

This is like saying if I put a coaster under the short leg of a wobbly chair, after enough time it shouldn't wobble when I remove the coaster. Affirmative action compensates for the disadvantages minorities face, it doesn't fix them.
    I don't know what can fix it, honestly.

A lot of the things that hold minorities down is cultural. How do you change that? How do you get a whole generation of people to accept that their methods are never going to be accepted by the establishment, and that they need to change so they can be accepted into the establishment which has all the money and power?

Example: Hicks. How do you convince them that being anti-science and anti-education is hurting them? That it makes them non-competitive in the work force? How do you make them understand that dressing like white trash and having a name like Cletus or Joe Bob Billy Bob sue makes people judge them harshly and not want to hire them or even deal with them? How do you convince them that they need go to college even though no in their family did. How do you convince them that their perspective on relationships is probably wrong because their family is probably dysfunctional?

How do you change any of that? We Both know what that person is going to say. They are going to snarl up and pucker their ass up, and refuse to change. "You're wrong. I'm right. My ways are just fine. It was good enough for my dad, and his dad, and so forth."

They're going to have to change for things to get better. Society won't change for them. As it shouldn't. We will be worse off if society accommodates the cultural background of poor performers like Hicks.

3. "Asian-Americans were found to be the most educated racial group, with 50.3 percent holding four-year degrees and 19.5 percent holding graduate degrees." source

Or does that categorization of humans not count 'cause it doesn't fit the narrative?

Hey guys, people are individuals.

Actually, affirmative action helps white people out too in the case of Asians.

I recall reading a study/article somewhere that said that 90% of the college student body of Cali would be Asian if acceptance criteria was 100% determined on High School grades and Standardized test scores.

But I'm fine with getting rid of hiring quotas for groups that have their shit together. I can't really think of a reason that Asian families should get handouts.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    Actually it was intended to fix them. The point was to get enough members of minority groups elevated into positions of power in society that discrimination becomes impractical. Affirmative action was never intended to be permanent.
    Exactly. Thank you, Spo.

6. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    Well whoever thought that is indeed naive and silly, but just because that's not true, doesn't really change my opinion that it does some positive good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I don't know what can fix it, honestly.
    Until there stop being neighborhoods grouped by ethnicity, probably not a whole lot. Culture gaps arise out of segregation, be it enforced segregation or de facto segregation.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    But I'm fine with getting rid of hiring quotas for groups that have their shit together. I can't really think of a reason that Asian families should get handouts.
    Agreed. "Diversity" is not really the goal we should be shooting for, but rather a way to find the hardest-working, most capable individual (and sometimes ignoring test scores or even grades is actually important to that end).

Either I've had more to drink than I thought, or Frog's account has been hacked, because he just said something that seems logical to me in Sound Off.

Don't get used to it.

10. Such things should be based off more on economical background than ethnic background. I find the idea behind affirmative action to be pretty racist itself and a lot of racial programs are helping to just keep the ball rolling in terms of keeping segregation and racism alive. In a perfect world (in my opinion) the entire "African American", "Latino American" and "Asian American" labels would just be dropped and everyone here would just be "American". Civil Rights "activists" like Jesse Jackson are just keeping the idea alive that somebody is a type of different human being because of their skin color. I can't even offer a logical idea of how to fix the problems of racism in a society like ours, but I would think it would start with ideas that promote color-blindness.
    http://www.the-nextlevel.com/board/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1739&dateline=1225393453