Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

1. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    Such things should be based off more on economical background than ethnic background.
    This inadequately accounts for it, though. I grew up poor, in an inner city area, but my experience was still pretty different than a lot of the other kids who didn't have money. There's a culture gap as well, and while you can't tie that to purely racial characteristics, it isn't just economic either. I had advantages that other kids I went to school with didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    This inadequately accounts for it, though. I grew up poor, in an inner city area, but my experience was still pretty different than a lot of the other kids who didn't have money. There's a culture gap as well, and while you can't tie that to purely racial characteristics, it isn't just economic either. I had advantages that other kids I went to school with didn't.
    I think it goes back to the "culture of stupidity" in the US.

Race shouldn't tie into this. But it does because the people involved are stupid. They believe in things that keep them stupid. Like "skin color is related to behavior."

Being intelligent enough to know differently, or not being raised in an environment that encourages those kinds of stupid unproductive thoughts is an advantage in itself. Those kinds of people generally pull themselves out of the shitter within their own generation or their kid's generation.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 27 Feb 2012 at 03:39 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Gohron
    I can't even offer a logical idea of how to fix the problems of racism in a society like ours, but I would think it would start with ideas that promote color-blindness.
    It's a nice thought, but I don't see how this would do anything but disadvantage minorities.

Let's look at a simple thing: The Rooney Rule in the NFL. The power structure of the NFL is overwhelmingly white in spite of the fact that the majority of players are black. The rule says you need to interview (not hire, just interview) a minority candidate for a head coaching job.

Some people say its dumb and racist. Some people (piece of shit owners like Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder) treat it like a joke and do some BS interview so they can get to the good ol' boy they want. But I do think many people do take the rule seriously and it's led to more black coaches getting hired - 15%-20% versus 5% or so before the rule.

Now. Twenty percent seems low too but that is still a bunch more opportunities. College football, without the rule, is still around 10% and most of those programs are marginal. The NFL guys get judged the same way as everyone else. So is the rule a bad thing? Is it better to get rid of it and return to the good old boy days? I don't see how.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 27 Feb 2012 at 02:22 PM.

One of the first things they teach us about in HR (there is a class for HR, lol) is the tendency for people to hire people like themselves. Its not a super evil plot or anything. Its just that 1. The people that so/so knows are going to be the first to know about a job opening up, and they are most likely their friends from their social circle. and 2. People are vain and naturally like people like themselves more than the alternatives.

Ideally, this should be avoided because it can created a company culture of group think where opportunities are missed because everyone thinks almost the same. Everyone sees the same opportunities and same threats because they all haves similar perspective.

The idea of affirmative action is to force companies out of that. And to force a few minorities into the company. Hopefully allowing them to get a good job and take their low income family from neighborhood full of their minority and into middleclasston, hopefully making middleclasston more diverse and stronger in doing so.

This is also why people who fight affirmative action look racists. The first question that comes to mind is "hey....why don't you want those minorities around? Do you have something against them?"

An aside: "best man for the job" is a joke in the US. 75% of the time, the person doing the hiring is not a logical rational person. They're some fag douche shithead, probably from a frat, that thinks he can sum people up with his gut. He hires people because they make him have that "feeling." That guy doesn't want to hire anyone that makes him feel uncomfortable. He hires people because they are from his college and know who the golf players in the pictures on his walls are. He hires the children of family, friends, and managers in the company. He hires people he thinks he can take advantage of or sexy women (sometimes both).

Affirmative action exist for that guy. To make him not be a shit head.

Another aside: It isn't like Companys are told they have to hire 5 wet backs and 5 darkies by the government. This shit is determined mathematically. I think its done by the 5/3s rule or 5/7 rule. Anyway, assuming you get a certain number of minorities and women applying for jobs, there is a certain % of applicants that you should hire. It isn't like a company can get slammed for being racist if zero minorities applied for the job or any jobs.

That rule is a joke and deserves any skirting it gets. There is no way that rule has accounted for a single hiring that wouldn't have occurred anyway, unless the GM was a complete idiot and didn't build a good candidate list.

6. Take money out of wealthy counties and spread it around the state/country. There. Now all public schools are on equal footing.

You're not that naive.

8. I heard some kid in Ohio was testing this out today.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Unfortunately he didn't blow his own head off.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    You're not that naive.
    What? This can work. Why shouldn't we half half of every counties' property taxes go into a big pool and have it spread evening for every school? If you want private education for your child you're free to do it and they will probably be better off, but this way all public schools can go from the same starting point.