Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3567891121 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

1. Anyone who has ever been in the job market knows that it is 20% skill an 80% perception anyway.

I mean, I graduated from a great school in a tough major with a good GPA. But I can say that about literally hundreds of people in my graduating class, and about 95% of the people who undoubtedly applied for my job. Most of them can probably do my job just fine, and I can do theirs. So, obviously, there are other reasons why I got it.

Which is fine. Let's start by acknowledging the reality (something we already do on the job hunt, it's why we make sure our resumes have no typos and our suits are clean and we articulate our answers beforehand). We should stop pretending that there is some objective form of a "best person for the job" and HR is just trying to find the closest to that ideal. It's just not the way this shit works.

2. I can't wait for Yoshi's daughter to get knocked up at 16

3. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Three generations is a short time period? Opportunities aren't the problem; parenting is. Unless you're going to Affirmative Action kids into houses that give a shit, it's all just counterproductive symbolism over substance bullshit.
    Yes. 3 generations is a VERY short time. How long did it take from the Civil War to Jim Crow laws to the Civil Rights Act??? Like a hundred or so years? Basically 200+ years or so from the inception of America for blacks to go from slaves to having maybe ~80% (perhaps a little higher on a good day) of the same opportunities that whites have enjoyed from the get go? You think a single policy like affirmative action could end the deep seated racism in America w/in 3 generations?

Shit Yosh, we still have people alive who lived through segregation. There's still people who get sick to the stomach thinking about interracial marriage. America has a TON of work to do to stop being as racist as shit and expecting that every one can and will be based on their own merit and actions is fantasy land thinking.

http://www.fvza.org/index.html

Yeah, 3 generations is a very short time. America is actually pretty amazing for how quickly we can improve for the better.

Other countries are still fighting, hating, and being bigoted over shit that happened 1000, 2000 years ago. Sometimes more.

It only appears slow from the inside. From the outside, America changes at a blistering rate.

5. I just don't think forcing bigots to hire minorities is a recipe for success.
    Maybe it would work in a sitcom, but in reality, it would just cause resentment and animosity.

6. Quote Originally Posted by dave is ok View Post
    I can't wait for Yoshi's daughter to get knocked up at 16
    By a black man.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    By a black man.
    Is this a pre-emptive admission?

Quote Originally Posted by Bojack View Post
    Yes. 3 generations is a VERY short time. How long did it take from the Civil War to Jim Crow laws to the Civil Rights Act??? Like a hundred or so years? Basically 200+ years or so from the inception of America for blacks to go from slaves to having maybe ~80% (perhaps a little higher on a good day) of the same opportunities that whites have enjoyed from the get go? You think a single policy like affirmative action could end the deep seated racism in America w/in 3 generations?

Shit Yosh, we still have people alive who lived through segregation. There's still people who get sick to the stomach thinking about interracial marriage. America has a TON of work to do to stop being as racist as shit and expecting that every one can and will be based on their own merit and actions is fantasy land thinking.
    Go back and read SpoDaddy's explanation of AA and learn something. It isn't going to reduce racism, since it is in itself racist. It hasn't done a damn thing of what it was designed to do either, and three generations should have been enough in that area.

not a damn thing?

that is a pretty big claim from old white mcwhite pants

what would you know about it?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Go back and read SpoDaddy's explanation of AA and learn something. It isn't going to reduce racism, since it is in itself racist. It hasn't done a damn thing of what it was designed to do either, and three generations should have been enough in that area.
    Oh shit, I made a word usage error and equated discrimination with racism, FUCK! Got me again Yosh!
    Last edited by Bojack; 01 Mar 2012 at 07:13 AM. Reason: word usage problem

http://www.fvza.org/index.html