Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court to Decide if Schools Should Actually Base Admissions on Merit

Why are inner city schools so bad?

You'd think they would have more money than anyone since the property taxes should be outrageous

2. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Why are inner city schools so bad?

You'd think they would have more money than anyone since the property taxes should be outrageous
    New York is the only city in the country where the inner city is more wealthy than the surrounding areas. The superior public transit infrastructure means they can force poor people to the outskirts and they can still affordably commute to work. Normally the poor people live near industry and the rich people commute.

Usually the inner cities are poor and property costs low. The house I grew up in cost $11,000 in the mid-80s.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    If it can. It's really just about weighing the pluses an minuses.

Affirmative action hasn't been demonstrated to hurt white people in terms of employment, wealth, or anything else. Resentment seems more on principle or entitlement. In tangible terms, who is it hurting?

It basically comes down to you feel than minority groups are disproportionately less qualified for jobs or schools, and that this creates some kind of problem of jobs being occupied by unqualified individuals. But can you point to that problem? Or is it just that people get mad when a black person gets a job and they didn't?
    I can name specific, but obviously anecdotal, cases where minorities have gotten promotions they had no business getting. These were not at my expense, so I am reasonably objective about them.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I can name specific, but obviously anecdotal, cases where minorities have gotten promotions they had no business getting.
    And then what happened?

The most obvious example was a disaster, and it took years to get the person out of the role for the same reason they got it in the first place. They basically had to get the person something else that interested them, because they couldn't throw them out regardless of merit.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    And then what happened?
    They did a good job with the promotion?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi
    I can name specific, but obviously anecdotal, cases where minorities have gotten promotions they had no business getting. These were not at my expense, so I am reasonably objective about them.
    I can name specific, but obviously anecdotal, cases where lots of people I've worked with regardless of race has gotten promotions they had no business getting. These were not at my expense, so I am reasonably objective about them.

I do not abide incompetence. And I've worked with/under so many morons in my lifetime it makes my head hurt just thinking about it. Many were white. But that's because I live in a country that is predominantly white.

I don't blindly support AA. I remember discussing with a bunch of classmates how annoyed I'd feel if I got a reporting job I didn't deserve simply because I was black. But that's Canada. And that was in the year 2005. I'm in favour of putting the best man or woman in the job.

AA served/serves a purpose: things were unfairly lopsided against minorities, so to even it out they've temporarily made it lopsided for the majority. And I sincerely doubt those complaining about it have been affected.

I don't think AA will last too much longer, but that's me being optimistic about human nature. I find it idiotic, myopic and a little disheartening to hear good people say it had no place, or that it had no merit. It was put in place to solve centuries worth of wrongs, and it was the best solution we had/have.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 01 Mar 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Well of course you would say that.

There is no doubt idiocy is well distributed among the races. Unfortunately, I am not comfortable getting any more specific about the most obvious case, so I'll just leave it at that. This thread is about education anyway, which is an entirely different animal than the workplace. Every kid deserves a shot, whereas under qualified adults don't deserve shit.

10. I tend to think anything that makes it difficult to fire someone for their performance is counterproductive, but this is more a question of implementation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    This thread is about education anyway, which is an entirely different animal than the workplace. Every kid deserves a shot, whereas under qualified adults don't deserve shit.
    And schools can still fail a kid who isn't performing.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 01 Mar 2012 at 03:09 PM.