Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st Official Japanese Mario Sunshine Review!!!!

1. 1st Official Japanese Mario Sunshine Review!!!!

Success, regardless how you look at it, is a two-edged sword. The Super Mario franchise stands as a perfect example of a legacy at risk among a dedicated fanbase, now that its former developer, Nintendo is no longer behind the wheel. Save for an extensive spiel as to how long I've followed the series, recap its history, etcetera, etcetera; (by now, you've heard it all before, so I am not going there). Chances are, you're among the myriad of fans, be it a hardcore enthusiast, or the casual statistic that's been mildly curious as to what the fourth installment is all about. So let's cut to the chase, (sans the PR fluff and bullshit) as to whether you're going to give Super Mario Sunshine the time of day, or scurry back to Super Mario World and pretend it was all just a bad dream that you want to go away.

Something old, something new
    Even before its domestic release, Sunshine has been a target of scrutiny and skepticism. A common concern expressed by many fans lies in how this installment stacks up against it predecessors, namely the most popular edition thus far - Super Mario 64. Basically, players were searching for consistency, elements of the past they could relate to. However, Nintendo EAD charted a new course for Sunshine, one which left purists to draw conclusions of their own, for better or worse. Although this installment retains some of the trademark elements that have remained consistent throughout the franchise, much of it has been redefined with a brand new look, control, and style. From the front-end to the gameplay engine itself, Sunshine is quite unlike any other edition you've been accustomed to. In my case, it all came down to being open to change, readjusting, and looking beneath the surface as to what Sunshine is all about.

Back to the future…
    Compared to the standard exhibited by the present generation of Gamecube games, Sunshine appears somewhat dated. Yes, the game is mildly glitchy, and it's certainly not the polished product that it should be, however it's far from being considered a deterrent to gameplay. Ironic actually, since Sunshine was originally planned to be a first-generation launch title. Though history of course proved otherwise (postponements, extenuating circumstances, you know the deal). I missed the opportunity to play the game at last year's E3, thus preliminary screenshots, general feedback from various sources, and media clips were the only point-of-references I had to go on. There was so much pessimism thrown my way, it was difficult to have any positive expectations for the game. Naturally, like many who've already experienced Sunshine first-hand, eagerly awaiting its release, I had my share of disappointment (but I got over it). Sunshine occasionally suffers from a case of pop-up, and framerate issues (usually occurs when there's a large concentration of goombas on-screen at once).
    For the record, it's very uncommon that I've seen the game slow to a halt, except during situations when I am bombarded by a set of turtle shells from relentless, AI competitors. Beyond these minor quips, there's very little (from a graphic standard) to be bitter about. To its credit, Super Mario Sunshine runs at a silky smooth pace of 60 frames per second; remaining virtually consistent throughout. Some have expressed instances of the game crashing (one report indicated that the game would crash upon leaving the Mushroom Kingdom). I encountered that situation - once, and (knock on wood) never experienced any technical difficulties like that again.
    As highlighted earlier, Sunshine is loaded with a number of changes and surprises. Among the new features includes the ability to upgrade Mario by picking up a mushroom. Successfully eating each mushroom awards you with more money, which in turn, can be used towards upgrading Mario’s attributes (i.e. fireball power, lateral stability) and watch him take on a new form. A number of enemies seem inspired from something out of the Episode One pod scene and I couldn't help but wander off thinking I was suddenly playing a new edition of Star Wars Kart Racer. It's an area of the game that is subject to opinion among any purist questioning if the developers tried too hard making Sunshine as distinct as possible; (thus as stated early in the review - a legacy at risk). Overall, most of the final configurations are quite impressive, though a few can be considered to be more visually pleasant in their original design.

For years, one of the biggest complaints I've ever had with the series was that the game was too short and didn't offer enough mushrooms. Thankfully, that's no longer the case with Sunshine, as the variety and quality (at the risk of sounding cliché) is bigger and better, featuring a whopping 45 stars (7 Toad’s in all). Nintendo EAD put an extensive degree of innovation into this aspect of the game and it shows. Among the game features include anti-grav pads that flip Mario 180 degrees through the air (reverse or normal, depending on your position in the circuit), circuits comprised of desert roads, underground caverns, and activation pads which open up new paths such as bridges or other areas of the circuit. There's even a selection of circuits which have also brought back the various rain and snow conditions (the latter actually which I find to mildly have an effect on navigating the circuit and dealing with competitors). In a fashion reminiscent to Ridge Racer, you'll also discover blocks (areas which are currently inaccessible) throughout the track. Though, as you progress and proceed to unlock new tracks, the blocks will open a new section within the respective circuit. Plus, a new staple to the franchise, the circuits can also be raced in reverse. Each track and their blocks previously sectioned off rotate from open to close, thus killing any redundancy and makes each circuit a wholly new experience.

Show me the gameplay
    Compared to the other editions, Super Mario Sunshine is the leading combat racer. Strategically being able to discern how (and when) the compliment of weapons/defensive tools at your disposal has never been quite an integral role of the franchise, until now. The import version of Sunshine was entirely focused on combat, putting the racing aspect in second gear. If you're looking for a contemporary, non-combat racing experience, Sunshine is not for you. Although the combat parameters were tweaked (not by much it seems), the AI still contains enough gusto that cursing and frustration will be synonymous during play.
    Without getting too technical, the control and handling has been universally altered. You'll discover that compared to previous editions, the timing in accordance with the air brakes and manipulating turns has changed considerably. It's as if Sunshine has been tailored to a greater degree of precision. While the classic crafts, such as Yoshi, feel bulky compared to its previous controls. This area is subject to opinion, but the air brakes have been tweaked so that while you may not be accustomed to using them, they're not quite as important (at least until you've reached the more difficult modes in Rainbow Road League, or playing through the Zone) to qualify in the early circuits. Much of the new crafts, despite the fact they're ranked higher for lateral stability actually feel rather loose (as if I was suddenly using a kart racer). This is especially annoying when you actually need to rely on one of the more "advanced" crafts, only to discover that you'll face two challenges - the circuit and compromising with the control integrity (it's ashame you can't actually tweak the sensitivity like in racing simulations). Nevertheless, as a courtesy to players of all skill levels, a section in the manual (or a virtual training mode) should have been developed, outlining the basics of handling the craft. For what it's worth, such a feature would have proved invaluable, especially for newcomers to the series.
    Though I digress, Sunshine reintroduces a number of signature weapons which have been featured throughout the franchise, some with slight modifications. The standard compliment includes missiles, turtle shells, mines, to name a few. Most weapons allow you to fire in both directions, using the Rear Cam (activated by pressing R1). In theory, this sounds both exciting and challenging, it's actually in fact, rather limited. The only opportunity that rear attacks will work to your advantage is on straightaway areas of any given circuit. So you'll need to tailor your strategies based upon the situation at hand. Fortunately, Sunshine presents a new roster of weapons to use at your disposal, most of which can be activated at different strike rates, activating by pressing R1. The new compliment of firepower includes:
    Mushroom Cannon: Think of your ship with a mounted phase pistol inspired from Trek or Star Wars, and you've got a good idea what this is all about. Picking up one of these gives you a total of 25 rounds at a time. Tap the button for a moderate burst or hold down the R1 button to unleash a volley of shots at once.
    Koopa Stinger: Dispenses an energy field from the rear section of your craft. Deploying one will target any craft within its vicinity and temporarily disable it.
    Flamer: Short for "flame thrower". Contra fanatics should immediately know what's up.
    Gravity Bomb: Creates an energy barrier, preventing all incoming craft within the bomb's radius to be temporarily immobilized. With a gentle tap on the button, will cause the weapon to come out a slower rate, inflicting more damage than activating it at a quicker rate. This in fact enhances the dimension of using weapons greatly, especially with when dealing with a set of competitors at once.
    Among all the weapons listed above, I considered Flamer and Photon Cannon to be the most proficient during any given situation. The others, while significant can be considered to be limited in range or damage effectiveness. Thus it's not uncommon as any Mario fan knows to dispose of the weapon in favor of a utility of their choice. Not all weapons are designed with offense in mind, other power-ups, such as the shield and turbo which respectively serve as defensive tool and utility to overtake the competition. The autopilot tool makes its third appearance, which doesn't seem quite as effective compared to its previous incarnations. Purists who've valued this tool will feel cheated, since this time around, enabling an Autopilot function will cause a substantial drop in speed, and perhaps it's just me...I think the rate of activity has been shortened. Personally, it doesn't bother me, I've grown unaccustomed to relying on it now anyway.
    Later throughout the game, you'll gain access to what are known as Super Weapons. It needs to be said that while they're fun to use, the AI will also have the opportunity to make use of them as well, and make use of them they will, more often (and better) than you're bound to expect. IT may seem exciting at first, until you've experienced recurring bombardment sessions, one after another from AI opponents fixated on winning. Don't say we didn't warn you.
    Features, sound, and everything else…

Sunshine features 7 different game modes, including several brought over from the previous edition - respectively Arcade, AG League (short for Anti-Gravity League for the uninitiated) Time Trials and Challenge. The Arcade Mode starts you off with three introductory racing teams, each with their own respective abilities and characteristics (among them includes the classic Bowser team).This is perfect for becoming familiar with the various tracks since the franchise has always lacked a practice mode. Players who recall one feature which harkens back to the original Mario - featuring two pilots per team. Initially you'll begin with the team's default pilot, though by successfully completing the circuits via the AG League will allow you to access the second pilot.
    AG League can be likened to a tournament mode. Selecting a team, pilot, and proceed to advance through the available leagues. Each league you engage will feature various circuits which gradually get longer, and harder. Eventually, if you've been accustomed to using the conventional craft, such as Bowser or Wart, you'll need to adjust your tactics accordingly, which in some cases, requires you to select another team altogether. AG League serves as the only mode in which you'll have the ability to make upgrade the abilities (i.e. Weapon Power, Brake Force, etc.) of the crafts designated for each team. The Time Trials is rather straightforward. Select a craft and a circuit of your choice and try to beat the preset records (had this mode be immediately accessible, it would make the perfect practice mode).
    The Challenge Mode has mildly changed from the parameters originally introduced in Mario 3. Sunshine takes each modes, respectively Race (complete circuit in a preset position), Time (achieve a preset lap time), Chase (go against an AI competitor by force or qualifying), Survival (endure through a preset number of laps), and Elimination (eradicate the competition, based upon a pre-determined number of opponents) which are now arranged as events for each of the featured teams in the game. Upon participating in each event, you must qualify for a bronze metal (or better) to advance. Successfully achieving gold in every event will allow you to compete in a special event, known as the Gold Challenge (which will unlock a very special gift…or is it a curse? Be wary of Super Weapons!)
    The Zone and Custom League (which will be highlighted shortly) are the newest additions to the franchise. Speaking of which, Sunshine also features a modest set of extras comprised of extra game modes (among them being the aforementioned ones above, an art gallery, and a Custom League. Sunshine, regardless how great your previous skill level was with other Mario titles will not be completed in an hour, or even a few hours. You'll be burning the midnight oil, and then some to get access to the Zone (which rightfully deserves to be coined as such). This mode puts the combat racing in the back seat and sticks to basics as you take a beating upon your hand and visual sensory skills. This puts Speed to shame. In the Zone, you're strapped in a craft with the accelerator rigged to maintain a speed of 1000 kph, gradually increasing every ten seconds. Points are awarded for achieving perfect laps, hitting speed pads, and successfully advancing in a zone (i.e. new level). If you're really good, and reach level 30, you'll be awarded a "gold" status, which advances you to the other remaining circuits (there are 10 in total). It's fun, challenging, and most of all...addictive. Without a doubt, it's definitely one of the best features to ever be introduced in the franchise to date.
    The Custom League is especially enjoyable when played through the Multiplayer Mode, allowing you and your friends to choose from the available circuits in which to compete. (We've actually arranged a custom league chart on our boards, check it out and get involved). Morevover, Sunshine features a new series of game modes, and multiplayer weapons (such as the global drain and stealth, no longer available in single-player mode), providing a diverse range of options to enjoy for competitive play.
    The Mario franchise can be described as a cocktail of impulse and rhythm. It's because of this series that I became so fascinated with the musical talents of The Chemical Brothers, Sasha, and Prodigy. Sadly, not all of my favorite groups made the cut. Out with the old, in with the new, so to speak. The soundtrack selection isn't horrible…not by a long shot. Merely different, and as I highlighted throughout the review, it's a change, one that will require adjustment on your part. The selection compared to previous editions is much softer, less bass, more electronica and vocals. While I still regard Mario World as being one the better music collection of tracks, I've gradually developed a greater appreciation for the Sunshine's selection, (at present, I've played BT and Humanoid, respectively by Smartbomb and Stakker Humanoid 2001 more times than I can count). Which brings me to a universal question among the many fans I've discussed this point with - Where's the sound test feature? It's a complete mystery why Nintendo EAD, given all the other goodies they've thrown in could overlook this; very odd.
    The sound effects are of the usual bang, zoom type. Both the circuit announcer and your craft's AI voice samples are totally new. Some have joked that the craft voice reminds them of Star Trek, which if you're not entirely fond of the franchise, could be considered, distracting. As for me personally, I don't mind. However, I know I am not alone when I say that I truly miss the "Contender Eliminated" voice sample from yesteryear. The current version is too bold, distant. It's just not the same in Sunshine, and actually…I don't like it. I haven't been this fickle since Capcom altered the sound samples for characters in the SF Alpha series. (Boy did that take some adjustment).

Bottom Line: Quite honestly, there's so much more that can be said (and as some personally know, I really could). Much of what has been discussed here will be invaluable to the hardcore fanbase of the series. Super Mario Sunshine, despite its flaws, is truly an exciting package. Although there are some graphic technicalities, gameplay adjustments, the game without a doubt has given me hours of enjoyment. While Mario World is an excellent game in its own right, Sunshine offers an extensive level of features and flexibility that motivates me to play over and over again. Renting the game would be an injustice, you owe it to yourself whether you're a casual fan or a purist to add this to your collection, today.

2. That sounded like a review for a mario kart game more than a regular mario game.
    www.classic-games.net updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

3. By whom?

4. ??

Can u say BS, I knew u could. Um that does nto sound like a review for sunshine,

zidane747 Guest
    Any way that you interpret the integrity of this review, thanks for the heads up Lucas.

6. Compared to the other editions, Super Mario Sunshine is the leading combat racer. Strategically being able to discern how (and when) the compliment of weapons/defensive tools at your disposal has never been quite an integral role of the franchise, until now. The import version of Sunshine was entirely focused on combat, putting the racing aspect in second gear.
    I'm speechless.

7. Wha.. huh? I feel stupider for reading that.

Z-roe
    A is for action

8. Originally posted by Z-roe
    Wha.. huh? I feel stupider for reading that.

Z-roe
    You're not the only one, dude. It just boggles my mind that anyone would write such a long and detailed review for a game and proceed to make up nearly every detail about it and also, manage to turn it into a review for a game of a different genre.

EDIT: It actually seems like someone took a review for something like Wipeout Fusion and just plugged in the odd mario, sunshine, or nintendo reference. Meh. Either way, that wasn't very funny.

Oh come on, that is just Bahn's review of Wipeout Fusion with Mario Sunshine plugged in.

10. Re: 1st Official Japanese Mario Sunshine Review!!!!

The most obvious example of why this review is bogus:

[i]Originally posted by Lucas Barton [/i The Super Mario franchise stands as a perfect example of a legacy at risk among a dedicated fanbase, now that its former developer, Nintendo is no longer behind the wheel.
    Either way, I found it damn funny. I leave this board for 6 months and this is the first thing I read.