Page 3 of 66 FirstFirst 12345717 ... LastLast

Thread: SteamMachines, SteamOS and SteamVR Official Thread

I think they should partner up with Sega and bring out a new Sega Console.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Check out the types of computers Dell or HP sell in that price range. The discounts they are getting on those computers are probably better than what Valve would get, and it's not like Dell or HP are getting huge margins at that price. Those computers certainly aren't what I would call a gaming PC.

Something has to give.
    I wonder if a Windows 7 trial version like Netbooks come with would work for this. That would be an obvious place to cut.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    (re: Windows 8 Embedded for the OS)
    Hell no
    No Windows = goodbye DirectX/Direct3D. In that case, out go a lot of Steam's games (and GOG's for that matter).

4. Win7 is perfectly serviceable and I can't think of a single reason to use a different operating system. Win8, on the other hand, sounds like something to skip.

As a note, I did preface my previous post with "if". Maybe I should have stressed it harder.

James

5. It should come with an Xbox 360 and PS3 emulator and run their games too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    No Windows = goodbye DirectX/Direct3D. In that case, out go a lot of Steam's games (and GOG's for that matter).
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Win7 is perfectly serviceable and I can't think of a single reason to use a different operating system. Win8, on the other hand, sounds like something to skip.
    This

Well, Windows 8's Metro UI would probably be better on a TV than Windows 7's otherwise amazing Aero. And that's one of the only place I can see Metro being better. Of course, all of that is moot if this hypothetical Steambox just sends you straight into Steam.

8. Kotaku posted this picture of a prototype in the works.

Tweet: "Built this tiny PC. i7 quad core, 8GB ram, Zotac Z-68 mobo w/ onnboard Nvidia mobile gfx. Runs Portal 2 FAST."
    Note: This is the demo unit they used to demo the Big-Picture-Mode to possible hardware partners at CES 2012. This specification DOES NOT necessarily reflect what's going to be used as the "baseline" specification for the final product(s). (contrary to Joshes' story)
    That's just a snippet of all the information I've gathered about this project. However, I think these tweets pretty much confirm that Valve is actually working on a console (-like PC).
    Last edited by gamevet; 04 Mar 2012 at 09:00 PM.

9. For those that missed it, Valve is NOT making the box.. it's a set standard that hardware makers can then put out there.. that's why CD-I and 3DO came up in the conversation.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

"Jumping in" to something hardware related