Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 5262646566

Thread: SteamMachines, SteamOS and SteamVR Official Thread

1. Valve didn't sell a single console, though.
    Those boxes were all made by PC manufacturers.
    I don't disagree that the whole platform was ill-conceived and poorly promoted, but I find what's happening with VR to be far more egregious, especially for the end user.
    SteamMachines are an open platform, at least.

2. Rift's an open platform too. It's Oculus Home isn't an open marketplace. In the end, that's going to hurt Oculus, though. It's a really stupid decision on their end.

3. That's what I was referring to. Valve is happy to open things up and let others do the work.

4. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Valve didn't sell a single console, though.
    Those boxes were all made by PC manufacturers.
    I don't disagree that the whole platform was ill-conceived and poorly promoted, but I find what's happening with VR to be far more egregious, especially for the end user.
    SteamMachines are an open platform, at least.
    That's why I referenced to the 3DO console earlier, because it was manufactured by difference companies, and they made some of their own design changes to reduce costs. His real motives were to promote Steam OS over Windows, and the whole Steam Machine was pretty much vaporware.

Valve has made the SteamVR tracking technology available to third parties. The article mentions a golf club, but I can't wait to see what crazy shit people come up with. I do hope that someone makes a universal cartridge that can go into multiple accessories though, as I don't want to have to pay for the actual tracking hardware in several different accessories.

6. Yeah, that's a pretty cool move. I wonder what, end-to-end, the process is like? You use their software to get an optimal sensor spacing, you attach sensors to your object, you connect all the sensors to a bluetooth board, and... does SteamVR take it from there? Pretty neat if so.

7. I envision a room full of wired sex toys.