Page 1 of 26 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Japanese Games "Just Suck"

Japan Modern Japanese Games "Just Suck"

Quote Originally Posted by IGN
    After a screening of Indie Game The Movie at GDC, Fez developer Phil Fish told a Q&A audience that he felt modern Japanese games "just suck" in response to a question about them.

It was an unknown Japanese developer who asked for the panel's views on Japanese games.

After Fish's remark, he took to his Twitter page to continue the discussion: "at tonight's IGTM Q&A some Japanese guy asked us what we thought of modern Japanese games, and said I thought they sucked […] so I guess I'm some kind of big racist now […] I'm sorry Japanese guy! I was a bit rough, but your country's games are f***ing terrible nowadays."

This led to some choice responses from followers, to which Fish responded by saying, "I made a statement about their games, not their whole entire f***ing culture."

Fellow panellist Jonathan Blow, the creator of Braid, apparently agreed with Fish's view, referring to Japanese games as "joyless husks".

Phil Fish has continued to defend his position on Twitter, telling one fellow user: "I stand by what I said. Most modern Japanese games are terrible. You can quote me on that."
    Link

While I don't think he's wrong, I think the Japanese can stand up to Fez and Braid just fine, so the sources need to be questioned.

2. I like this guy.

3. Dark Souls is the only Japanese game I have enjoyed in the past ten years.

Modern Japanese games are just fine if you derive the most enjoyment out of playing SNES quality JRPGs on 3" LCDs in 2012.

Modern US games just suck if you don't care about FPSes.

Quote Originally Posted by dog$ View Post
    Modern US games just suck if you don't care about FPSes.
    How do I get into first person mode in Mass Effect (STFU, Canada) or get a gun in Elder Scrolls?

edit: And I'm not going to front re: Resident Evil Revelations. That is as good as portable games get.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 07 Mar 2012 at 03:43 PM.

6. So when is that Fez game supposed to be released? Still early 2010?
    Donk

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    How do I get into first person mode in Mass Effect (STFU, Canada) or get a gun in Elder Scrolls?
    The same way you play a JRPG when you boot up Dodonpachi Daifukatsu.

8. In this thread: Angry Japan-o-philes.

Quote Originally Posted by dog$ View Post
    The same way you play a JRPG when you boot up Dodonpachi Daifukatsu.
    To be fair, DDP's story is better.

edit: There are a handful of obvious exceptions (Demon's/Dark Souls, Cave, Sega's one team, and RE:R come to mind for my tastes), as with nearly any blanket statement. But there is clear merit to the overall claim.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 07 Mar 2012 at 03:48 PM.

10. dave is a master observer.
    Donk