Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 10121314

Thread: Sega Hurting

1. It's sad that besides Sonic and Aliens they won't be doing a whole lot.

I kind of hope they're just consolidating to be able to some day grow again as a publisher with a couple of well placed successes. Otherwise it might be best for other platform holders like Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft to do something similar to what they're already doing with Square-Enix and Capcom by helping to fund certain games to come to their consoles. It sucks that it has to come to that instead of being the typical multiplatform model but it seems like it's the only other way outside of outright getting Sega's IP's purchased.

2. Is/was there any talent left at Sega outside of M2? And even they, workmanlike as their ports are, aren't innovators.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    It's sad that besides Sonic and Aliens they won't be doing a whole lot.
    They also have two of the biggest RTS series in Total War and Company of Heroes. Football Manager is a big global IP as well. Sega, like Taito Eidos, figured out that Japan doesn't matter anymore, especially outside the mobile space, so they invested in western IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Is/was there any talent left at Sega outside of M2? And even they, workmanlike as their ports are, aren't innovators.
    Yes, the Valkyria/Yakuza team is still there. Otherwise, they've contracted out their recent good games, like Isolation and Transformed.

4. Yeah, those are good, but I don't think either series was trending in the right direction. Sega is The Simpsons. The people who made it something you like are gone and it's something different now. Yu Suzuki is not walkin' through that door, fans.

http://youtu.be/uRik9erWgQ8

You can really tell they did some serious studying on how to make money with company of heros.

"what to Americans like?"
    "tom hanks"
    "what does tom hanks do?"
    "make world war 2 movies"
    "ok, we'll make a ww2 game"
    "how do we get americans too spend more money?"
    "micro transactions."
    "ok, we'll have tons of micro transactions for skins, units and campaigns"

6. So Sega of America has essentially returned to what it was during the Master System days: a handful of people localizing Japanese software.

7. I really think the problem here is that Sonic Boom was such an asshole game. They undoubtedly put a lot of bread in that franchise and the game just killed it. Even if it did average Sonic numbers they would be alright.

Total War, Alien, COH, Football Manager are all solid performers.

I don't know what they were thinking. Did sonic generations and racing transformed really do so poorly that they had to reboot sonic's image and gameplay for a new generation?

9. Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Saw this on twitter this morning. Sucks. I'd REALLY like the have another Virtua Fighter.
    me too but a new one will probably incorporate final showdowns gameplay style so good riddance

10. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Is/was there any talent left at Sega outside of M2? And even they, workmanlike as their ports are, aren't innovators.
    M2 is not owned by Sega.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)