Thread: The Smartphoning of the Internet

The Smartphoning of the Internet

So it is Friday morning and I'm sitting here doing my site round before I head out for the day.

As I navigate around each website, it becomes very apparent that websites are more and more designing their layouts for smartphone users. Instead of the word "trash" or "delete" there is now an icon of a trashcan. And a dozen other commands have been replaced by a shape equivalent too. Also, there are many more sub menus. 5 years ago, most of what you needed would be on one screen. Now you have to click a picture icon, go to a sub menu, then pick what you do and get another sub menu to finally do what you want to do.

How do the rest of you feel about this? Indifferent? Happy with your new smart phone overlords? Angry?

I understand why they do it. If you're paying a design team to build your web presence, you'd rather them reuse things than spend time making things for each outlet. And there is something to be said for building a cohesive brand experience.

It's more work, but I prefer sites to have a mobile specific site instead of making their main site retarded. On the plus side, I have noticed a lack of annoying Flash in websites lately.

3. If each action is taking you to a new page with new content, then there's also the fact you're being targeted with more advertising from the company and the advertisers that pay them to have their ads.