Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 81011121314 LastLast

Thread: Tumblr

twitter kind of shit the bed for hash tags. They are actually really useful on tumblr.

i learned something new today.

tumbler+gmail tip

I just thought that I would offer up a small tip for setting up multiple tumblr blogs on the same gmail address. The first thing you need to know is that gmail supports something called “plus” (+) addressing. What this means is that you can use a plus (+) sign in addition to your gmail address, to create an on the fly, brand new, email address. Clear as mud? Let me show you what I’m talking about:

Let’s say that your email address is mrcool@gmail.com. You can tell tumblr (and other sites) that your email address is mrcool+my1stumbrellaphrase@gmail.com. For your second tumblr blog, just tell them that your email address is mrcool+my2ndumbrellaphrase@gmail.com Note the + sign in these two examples.

I just did this, and set up two tumblr blogs in about 4 minutes, on the same address. This little trick will save you the hassle of setting up 1000 seperate gmail accounts, one per niche, that you have to log into seperately. Use this tip for signing up to newsletters, or anything else that you want.

Part two of the tip is this: in your gmail account, there is a thing called “labels”.

Go into your gmail settings, and set up a filter that will direct mrcool+my1stumbrellaphrase@gmail.com into a label called my1stumbrellaphrase. Now, whenever you get mail at that address, it is automatically filed for you, and you know exactly what it is about!

Bonus tip: use mrcool+junk@gmail.com for anything that you have to sign up for, but don’t want to, like one of those annoying sites that demand a sign-up before they let you into the forums. Set up a filter that drops it into your trash or spam folder.

One note: substitute “mrcool” for your email address please, otherwise the real “mrcool” will come and do some very uncool things to me for sponsoring the bombardment of his address

Hope this helps!

Doesn't a "." work the same way for gmail addresses?
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

If so then josh@gmail.com is getting a fuckton of my emails.

Also, reading this after I set up, like, ten email accounts is just perfect.

I made a completely new gmail for my first tumblr.

I've thought about setting up a second, and putting a proxy behind it for a vintage sexy butts tumblr, but I don't know how tinfoilhat I want to be.

Just how much does tumblr make visible?

I'm lying. I'd just use it to troll feminist until I got banned and I don't want my IP banned
    Last edited by Fe 26; 13 Feb 2013 at 03:12 AM.

I want IP banned.

8. hm, thats a good tip! I have a few communities under the blanket of my main tumblr but i post in them separately so it doesn't specifically link back to my original blog, but i don't really care if people know what that is anyway. I post like....120 times a day so finding anything of importance is a moot point.

Also, it is incredibly difficult to get IP banned from tumblr. I have a friend who is on his 24th tumblr account and they didn't attempt to IP ban him until the 10th time or something. If you do something like troll or insult, and someone actually reports it, you get a stock nastygram from tumblr (but if you change your username temporarily it seems to confuse them.) It takes quite a lot of baiting to get booted off. I have, however, seen people who hoarded corporate URLs (wellsfargo for instance) get threatened that they need to change their name or get kicked off. They changed over but I thought it was a little weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

Good to know. I've seen some really dumb shit this week and I've kept my mouth shut.

Like 15 year old girls going on rants about sexism and rape because the 65 year old man that checked them out at COSCO said they should smile more because they're so pretty...

old people say that stuff to anyone that isn't ugly. Lord.

10. Ugh, don't even get into that psuedo internet feminist bullshit. It's a losing game. That stuff, along with the ultra PC Social Justice warriors are just sort of ingrained in tumblr at this point - it's really annoying, unintelligent garbage, but these 17 year olds seem really married to it. when they hit the real world, they'll drop the front.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread