Page 16 of 209 FirstFirst ... 21214151617182030 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter's All-purpose Speculatory Thread of Dreams

1. Quote Originally Posted by Defense Grid 2 FAQ
    Don’t you have enough money already for DG2, from DG1 or Valve on CS:GO?

We put everything we had into Defense Grid; we wanted the game to be able to reach a lot of people, and looking back we probably sold the game at too low a price. It paid for it’s cost, but not enough for us to make DG2 on our own. It takes a lot of money to make games (especially ones with 3d art instead of 2d sprites). We've been pitching it for several years but it's not f2p social (where the money is now in small games), or AAA (where the money is in big games). We still think there's enough interest to be successful, but that's what we're finding out by doing a Kickstarter.

Since Defense Grid shipped, we’ve been working for other folks who look for people who make high quality games – most recently Valve for the Counter-Strike franchise – and that has been great work that helps our team gel even further and allows us to create great game experiences, but it also isn’t going to provide enough to fund a Defense Grid 2.

As I said, they screwed up something in their business plan. I much prefer Kickstarting things that really will not be made properly without the extra crowd funding. This is not one of those things. It's not like the tower defense genre is dead. If they aren't capable of making a great traditional TD game using the money they really should have, somebody else will step up to the plate and eat their lunch, to mix metaphors.

But I bet they will get their shit together. I highly doubt they will hit a million dollars and yet I am also confident that we will see a Defense Grid 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    $4.6 million for Ouya!
    Fools

4. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    As I said, they screwed up something in their business plan.
    Sounds like it. Or they are lying. Real outside funding would want to see a balance sheet. Kickstarter just needs a sob story.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    It's still a good value even if it will never even come close to being a serious gaming platform.

6. I can't wait for this to be the kickstarter that doesnt' deliver and gets taken to court. I'd want a $99 modbox to play media and emulators too.

7. That was a whole article about nothing.
    The point wasnt to make a home based machine to run mobile games. It was to make a home based machine made up of the hardware and os that smaller developers (who are forced into the mobile arena) are already used to.
    She never said every game would be free. She said every game must have a free element. Most developers will opt for a demo. Thats good enough for me!
    There's more, but i gotta go.

8. Come on now, "All games are free to play" is extremely misleading. "Free to play" doesn't mean "There's a demo!" to anyone.

It's not a big deal but it is pretty dumb.

Android is probably eighth of the ten current platforms for game development, and this would further splinter that base. I have to believe the vast majority of people only want what Chux wants, and that would result in endless lawsuits. Also, Apple could annihilate this instantly by saying "games on Apple TV."

10. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I have to believe the vast majority of people only want what Chux wants, and that would result in endless lawsuits.
    lol wat?