Page 2 of 209 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Kickstarter's All-purpose Speculatory Thread of Dreams

1. Im happy with this trend of fund raising. Gives smaller games a chance. Also means developers can break free of publisher pressure and the corporate douchebaggery that comes with it.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 14 Apr 2012 at 07:44 PM.

2. This feels like the natural evolution of indie development, and I don't see any downside to it beyond the obvious ones of folks who spend hundreds to support something winding up with some buyer's remorse with the final product.
    matthewgood fan
    lupin III fan

3. What type of budgets are we talking about here? I don't think the 2 million dollar projects are going to be Kickstarted nearly as much as publisher-backed. Maybe I am underestimating people's desires to make this movement a lasting thing. I don't know if we'll know that until several of these types of projects come out.

On the flip side, it depends on the type of project. Publishers fund a lot of these not to break even. They do it in the search of the next Angry Birds. The big publishers' goal is not mere profit. So there might be some types of low-budget projects that are more the Kickstarter type.

And then maybe there are some publishers out there that are waiting to see how successful the project is so they can attempt to come in after the fact. None of the risk, all of the reward.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 15 Apr 2012 at 11:58 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    What type of budgets are we talking about here? I don't think the 2 million dollar projects are going to be Kickstarted nearly as much as publisher-backed. Maybe I am underestimating people's desires to make this movement a lasting thing. I don't know if we'll know that until several of these types of projects come out.
    But this impacts things on both sides. Publishers like to invest in things that resemble recent successes. If something is very successful on Kickstarter, publishers are going to look at similar projects as potentially profitable investments in a way they wouldn't have if not for that initial success.

Most games are still going to be funded privately, there's no doubt about that at all, but Kickstarter is going to help diversify the kinds of games people invest in, both privately and publicly. Publishers just don't want to be the guinea pig. Kickstarter allows for these experiments without a real risk.

5. I dont personally care if publishers are the better route. While true most dev companies taint their output to please publisher whims. This at least is another way. People who invest thousands arent even necessary 1/2 the time. Thats why so many of these kickstarters go way over their target amounts.

They should mathematically reduce everyones alottments instead of allowing overages.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hris-huelsbeck

I am going to drop $100 on this. Seriously.

7. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...hris-huelsbeck

I am going to drop $100 on this. Seriously.
    I already did.
    Become History
    Awesome stuff I'm selling | Backloggery | Tumblr
    2013 Completion (2): PC (1), 360 (1)

8. Maaaaaaan, for a split second before I actually read what it was, I thought they were Kickstarting a new Turrican.

9. Which they really should.

And Chris Huelsbeck is based in CA? I always assumed he was German. My world has been rocked.

You are correct in both cases. He is German, but he moved to California in the late 90s.