Page 195 of 209 FirstFirst ... 181191193194195196197199 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 2090

Thread: Kickstarter's All-purpose Speculatory Thread of Dreams

1. Eh, I'm looking forward to Bloodstained. Backed for a physical copy and just changed it to Switch, because it's not like my PS4 gets the play-time it used to.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I'm not arguing with you,
    Except that you are.

I'm trying to zero in on what is is about this game that bothers you that isn't true of all cel-shaded games. "Only characters are cel shaded" doesn't mean shit. That's Guilty Gear Xrd, that's Gravity Rush 2, hell, that's Street Fighter 3. So the cel shading can't be the culprit, and if it's not that, what is it?
    I've already expressed that. It's too far of a difference. The styles don't work together. The character is bright, with strong lighting on her, and simple shadowing, while the backgrounds though poorly textured attempt to go for higher detail, less saturated colors, less dramatic of lighting while having a more complex shadowing. The boss fight at the end of the demo stands out even more. There are times when parts of the boss are up close on screen and she has this thick black outline around her. Nothing else in the world has that and it looks off. Enemies in the demo are all brightly lit, but not a single one of them casts a damn shadow, everything else casts a shadow. It makes them feel unconnected not in the same universe. It's not a good choice at all.

The character moves floaty and weightless, with out any form of grounding shadow, while the world around her doesn't move or look like that.

They've done a decent job of modelling the main character and the boss, while all their other assets look like they were bought from Turbosquid or some other website.

https://youtu.be/zov9o9Ka3ts?t=10m5s

The whole package looks cheaply made It all speaks of them basically trying to recreate the way things were done for SoTN, and not to be a broken fucking record but what works in 2D doesn't always work in 3D. They originally wanted 500,000 to do this game and got 10x that plus a non-disclosed amount from the publisher, but it looks like it's still running on the 500k budget.

I mean shit look at this Castlevania 1 remake being done by 1 dude, Bloodstained really isn't looking all that much better than this. At least the characters have fucking shadows, and some dynamic lighting going on here. The animation is shit here, but some of the texture work is leagues better.

On a different note the Wonder Boy remake looks absolutely fucking amazing, and I think the Wonder Boy remake is coming to the Switch.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    ITT, TNL argues with a professional artist and tells him he's wrong.
    Nearly every person on here would argue with me about how to do my job if they came into my workplace.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Except that you are.
    I'm not trying to say you're wrong, anyway. Just that some of what you're getting at has been unclear to me.

I've already expressed that. It's too far of a difference. The styles don't work together. The character is bright, with strong lighting on her, and simple shadowing, while the backgrounds though poorly textured attempt to go for higher detail, less saturated colors, less dramatic of lighting while having a more complex shadowing.
    I can see that, but that much of this, unlike what we said about the backgrounds, seems like a clear design choice to make the characters stand out and make the action easy to read. Maybe there's a compromise to be had there, but this:

looks like a hot mess to me. Horribly over-done lighting effects creating seizure-inducing hard shadows that flicker all over, and enemies shrouded in darkness. Stuff in the background does look interactable because it doesn't line up with the character... It may look more "3D" and more realistic, but it is seriously ugly and impractical.

Lets put that next to this, the most recent clear still screenshot I could find of Bloodstained:

Yes, there are some low-poly models and shit textures, especially near the bottom of the screen, but most of that looks pretty good and the design is actually quite nice. The character is indeed casting a shadow, and seems to be obeying the scene lighting, albeit differently shaded. Platforms are clearly defined, but still look like part of the scene...

The character moves floaty and weightless, with out any form of grounding shadow, while the world around her doesn't move or look like that.
    Yeah, again, you're dead-on that this is because they're trying to make this control and animate as much like the 2D games as possible. It doesn't look as "natural" but I think it benefits how the game plays. This is one where I totally get what you're saying, but I think the alternative would not be the improvement you're hoping for.

On a different note the Wonder Boy remake looks absolutely fucking amazing, and I think the Wonder Boy remake is coming to the Switch.
    Yes, I've been salivating over this for a long time. I can't wait.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 23 Mar 2017 at 10:50 AM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    That game looks terrible. Why even bother arguing over it.

Have you guys seen the Wonder Boy remake lately? It looks INCREDIBLE.
    Wow. That lion's run cycle is glorious.

Adding to the list of professional artists, I've never heard of this game but it looks terrible.

6. If we can just admit Castlevania peaked on PC Engine 25 years ago or whatever we can get on with things.

Symphony of the Night peaked with Super Metroid.

It's not a fuckin' genre, it's a long train of poor imitations. If it were a genre, a better game would have been made in it by now.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 23 Mar 2017 at 12:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. It's a genre in the sense Mega Man is a genre.

There's a clear outstanding example, but the premise is enjoyable enough to carry a lot of the lessers.

The only Igarashi 'vania I haven't played is Harmony, and I enjoyed all the others. I'm glad they stopped, though. I think that premise has been fully explored at this point.

8. The 'Mega Man Genre' is able to spawn better games that stand on the shoulders of that premise. The "Metroidvania" genre is an ocean of anklebiters, it's years of school pizza after a trip to Italy.

9. "Metroidvania" is a term that makes no sense.

It's like calling a platform game a "MarioKlonoa."

Metroid was doing Metroid over a decade before Castlevania was doing Metroid.

10. I didn't make the term, but I agree.