Page 196 of 209 FirstFirst ... 182192194195196197198200 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,960 of 2090

Thread: Kickstarter's All-purpose Speculatory Thread of Dreams

1. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    "Metroidvania" is a term that makes no sense.

It's like calling a platform game a "MarioKlonoa."

Metroid was doing Metroid over a decade before Castlevania was doing Metroid.
    And a million games before it were doing some variant of it as well. Impossible Mission, Jet Set Willy, whatever. It's a bad genre name, but that battle has been lost.

2. I don't think it's wrong to name a set of games after the (perceived) best example of those games, which those Spectrumtrash games would not be.

Combining two games to name a genre is dumb. Somebody let the 'my first system was a Playstation' kids name a thing and I guess that was the compromise.

You know, we talk about bad box art in the US but take a look at Jet Set Willy sometime.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 23 Mar 2017 at 02:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I don't think it's wrong to name a set of games after the (perceived) best example of those games, which those Spectrumtrash games would not be.
    I hope you don't think I'm saying they should be called ImpossiWillies.

The only other genre we really call after a specific game is "Adventure," and that's four decades old and most people probably don't even realize that's where the term is from. We called FPS "Doom clones" for a while, I guess, but that was only for a few years.

The "Metroidvania" term was really just meant to distinguish the castlevania games that had exploration from the old-school linear ones. Which makes sense. But then people just started applying it to every free-exploration platformer for some reason.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 23 Mar 2017 at 03:32 PM.

4. We do it with puzzle games all the time. You've got your Tetris games, your Puzzle Bobbles, your Puyo Puyos. They're all subsets based on a key game.

5. I imagine most people using the label "Rogue-like" never played or know Rogue.

6. Most people are too busy calling them Rouge-likes.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Wow. That lion's run cycle is glorious.

Adding to the list of professional artists, I've never heard of this game but it looks terrible.
    The mouse has sold me on the game all by itself. Looks wonderful.

The fact that you can swap between old and new graphics on the fly is pretty slick too. They even made a new "old" sprite for the Wonder Girl character they're adding, and it has the same goofy charm and appeal those designs had. I do wish some of the new art captured that feeling as well, but hey.

8. Quote Originally Posted by cigsthecat View Post
    Most people are too busy calling them Rouge-likes.
    Makeup sims are getting very specific.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    I imagine most people using the label "Rogue-like" never played or know Rogue.
    That's a good one. A few years ago, Rogue-like just meant games like Fushigi no Dungeon and Nethack and people probably did understand the connection to the game Rogue, and now it's like anything that involves a lot of playing the game over with randomized elements.

EDIT: Apparently wikipedia has coined the term Roguelike-like. Shoot me.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 23 Mar 2017 at 08:45 PM.

10. I liked watching it go from exclusively "turn-based permadeath with randomized elements" to specifying things like "action side scroller with rogue-like elements that include permadeath and randomized levels" to "I guess it has random levels or something."