Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4678

Thread: Shadowrun Returns

1. It reminds me of an actual Shadowrun PNP campaign. The lack of an open world would make more sense if there were more players, but I never thought the open worldness of the old isometric RPGs ever amounted to much.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

2. The linearity doesn't bother me too much. If not for the push I'd just wander around wondering what to do next. In fact, the first scene I didn't really read the conversations and wondered around aimlessly for awhile before I stumbled on the next event. It sucked.

The game feels (and looks) like an homage to the old school. I, for one, like it. There were a couple times I thought I might be nearing the end after hearing how omg short it was but the story persists. Not annoyingly IS THIS OVER YET but interesting, if slightly predictable. There were some times where I didn't quite make the connection and the dialogue choices had to clue me in.

And I really enjoy this style of combat and wish it was more common.

3. Another thing worth noting is that total remakes of the SNES and Genny Shadowrun using this engine are being made with the editor right. The people making the SNES rev got the editor earlier so they are in alpha right now, but the genny is on the way too.

4. Quote Originally Posted by JM View Post
    Another thing worth noting is that total remakes of the SNES and Genny Shadowrun using this engine are being made with the editor right. The people making the SNES rev got the editor earlier so they are in alpha right now, but the genny is on the way too.
    Wow! That's good to hear.

One thing about the PNP and Genny Shadowrun (I own, but have never finished SNES) is that death could come very easily and quickly. So it's only fitting that Shadowrun Returns is the same way.

Nevertheless, I'm still on the fence about this game. Haven't bought it yet, waiting for something to push me over the fence.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

5. Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    And I really enjoy this style of combat and wish it was more common.
    Did you catch the brief Prisoner reference?

When talking with the lady who runs the Union when she's cooking, one response choice is 'Be seeing you.' Choose that and she replies, 'And you.'
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

6. Even though I backed this, I put it on the backburner long enough for them to announce the save anywhere function would be patched into the original campaign with Dragonfall's launch, so I waited for that to happen. Beat the first campain, playing through Dragonfall now. Seems they've done a lot of bug squashing and balancing since launch, too.

Really digging this. Combat is satisfying and the writing and story are great. You can tell they designed the first campaign with no-manual-but-periodic-autosave in mind. It's very linear and scene shifts are frequent. Your stomping grounds in the first campain is two-floors of a building. In Dragonfall it's a neighborhood. In the first campain there was...one optional shadowrun that you could take from a Mr. Johnson. In the second, you need to collect funds for something so there seems to be quite a bit more jobs to take. Oh, and the first "real" run you take in dragonfall involved moving back and forth between various floors in a hotel - much more open than anything in Dead Man's Switch.

They made throwing weapons a full on weapon type and there's sniper rifles in the game too.

After seeing the improvements they made, I'd love to see a third campaign.

7. I haven't finished Dragon fall yet. I'll try to get to it this summer.

I *really* like the game and don't want the second campaign to end, though =( It's games for old people.