Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 515171819202123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Reminisce: Sony Playstation

1. You haven't even played the MSX "Solid Snake", that's hardly an argument. Damn good game to use as a base, at any rate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

That's true, because I haven't been able to force myself through MGS3 to get there chronologically. I did play MGS1-2 though on release.

edit: jyoung voted for it. Good luck refuting that.

3. See?

I'd argue MGS is the first half-smart 3D game, it deserves a lot of credit for that. There's a lot of depth to the interaction, most PS1 and PC stuff up to that point was just trying to make other genres work in 3D. Solid Snake MSX wasn't the most fun game (before its time really), but it had a lot of great ideas that got expanded on and fulfilled in satisfying ways by MGS.

also: So what? Broken clock's right twice a day, news alerted.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I'd argue MGS is the first half-smart 3D game, it deserves a lot of credit for that. There's a lot of depth to the interaction, most PS1 and PC stuff up to that point was just trying to make other genres work in 3D. Solid Snake MSX wasn't the most fun game (before its time really), but it had a lot of great ideas that got expanded on and fulfilled in satisfying ways by MGS.
    In a world where Tomb Raider didn't come out two years earlier maybe.

Tomb Raider sucked.

ban pls

7. MGS does a whole lot more than Tomb Raider. You get run around shooty stuff in TR, but there's not much thought besides 'make this work in 3D' going on.

It played like shit, what can I say?

Make it a perma.

Thief and Tenchu both came out the same year as MGS, and both felt more groundbreaking in terms of gameplay to me. They made use of being fully 3d and had the design was more sandbox-y. MGS had more going for it in terms of cinematic presentation and that probably appealed to more people at the time, though.

And Tomb Raider 1 is still awesome.