Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Reminisce: Sony Playstation

Similar to the 16-bit thread, I think it's worth posting the Racketboy links for Defining Games and Hidden Gems.

2. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    How are the Alundra PS1 games?

The local shop has Alundra 1 and 2 available. I remember reading the first one was way better than the sequel?
    The first one is really good, and Working Designs didn't go overboard with their usual translation silliness. A lot of the same folks worked on Landstalker. Very puzzle-heavy. I'd avoid the second game, though.

Despite being fairly ugly, I thought Shadow Madness was a great RPG with a fantastic soundtrack. I was really into the King's Field games, too. Most of my favorite Square games during that period were actually the lower profile ones, like Threads of Fate and Brave Fencer Musashi. I loved Einhander so much I bought it twice (import and domestic). Some of Atlus' stuff like Trap Gunner and Kartia was pretty good; I even recall them using Amano's artwork on the cover of the latter after people called them out on the rather generic proposed box art. There were a few excellent light gun shooters, too...I ended up with two GunCons after buying Time Crisis and Point Blank. Elemental Gearbolt was the absolute jam.

Ah, memories.

Edit: Thought of a few more. I still have the entire Tecmo's Deception series. Tobal and Bushido Blade both ate up a lot of my time. Clock Tower!
    Last edited by No One; 05 Apr 2012 at 04:22 PM.

3. PS1 is probably my favorite Sony console. Wipeout and Destruction Derby blew me away, and part 2 were even better. Warhawk's framerate made it almost unplayable (especially in the later levels).

So many jaw-dropping moments ... like Tomb Raider's sense of isolation, then dinosaur chasing you, Metal Gear Solid's opening, Resident Evil, Soul Blade's intro (yah, i love that intro/song), etc.

There are too many games to list, but here are some of my favorites:

Resident Evil 1/2
    Wipeout
    Destruction Derby
    One
    Metal Gear Solid
    Elemental Gearbolt
    Bishi Bashi Special
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Ridge Racer R4
    Tomb Raider
    Silent Hill
    Gran Turismo (wasn't too boring the first time through)
    Beatmania
    Persona 1/2
    Einhander
    R-Type Delta
    Xenogears
    Vanguard Bandits
    Driver (except the last level, fuck that level forever)
    Vandal Hearts
    Alundra
    Tecmo's Deception (mommy......)

4. Shadow Madness? Really? I bought that for $10 new, knowing how badly the press had trounced the thing; but I had thought It Can't Be That Bad.
    It was.
    Jade Cocoon was a much better Crave offering. I never beat it, but I remember sitting here at the store and playing it for hours on end one lonely summer.

Also: I'd really hate for this thread to turn into list after list of games (ahem, yoshi and kof). If you can, just throw down a sentence or two of why a particular game or two is special to you.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 05 Apr 2012 at 04:40 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by jyoung View Post
    How are the Alundra PS1 games?

The local shop has Alundra 1 and 2 available. I remember reading the first one was way better than the sequel?
    First one is great, 2nd one I have no clue.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Shadow Madness? Really? I bought that for $10 new, knowing how badly the press had trounced the thing; but I had thought It Can't Be That Bad.
    It was.
    Jade Cocoon was a much better Crave offering. I never beat it, but I remember sitting here at the store and playing it for hours on end one lonely summer.
    Yeah, I dunno. It didn't do anything particularly well, but I found the story and characters weirdly endearing. Because it had been such a blatant cash-in on FFVII's formula and developed by an American team (back when console gamers considered that an affront to RPGs, apparently unaware these things called PCs existed), I don't think it was ever really given a fair shake. It's a seriously strange game.

Totally agree on Jade Cocoon, btw. That one was worth playing for the brilliant art and setting alone.

7. Twisted Metal 2 was pretty damn good.
    look here, upon a sig graveyard.

8. Kinda surprised I forgot that one, actually. I remember a lot of late nights playing split screen vs. mode with a friend and laughing our asses off. The first two Tony Hawk games got a ton of play when we'd hang out, too.

True story: I hooked up my Playstation a couple days ago to play Slap Happy Rhythm Busters.

10. Quote Originally Posted by sedition View Post
    Twisted Metal 2 was pretty damn good.
    That was pretty good, pretty tough too.