Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Reminisce: Sony Playstation

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel View Post
    The PS1 was my favorite console ever (I went Colecovision->NES->SNES->N64->PS1).
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'd take the playstation library over the SNES and Genesis combined.
    You guys are fucking nuts. At least I know Uriel is because his point of reference is broken.

2. 16 bit has a lot of great games in a few genres (platformers, rpgs, shooters). 32 bit has a lot of great games in EVERY genre, including some that dont even exist on 16 bit. Maybe it's because i was in my game playing heyday during the genesis and snes days, but ive played every game from that era that i have ever cared to. Theres still a ton of playstation games i still need to dig into. (If you include the import scene, a lot of the best shooters from the earlier generations are available on psx too. Win win!)

I think I'm about spent on both generations, but I could certainly see how freshness would be attractive. It's the PS2/GC/Xbox generation where I missed a bunch of stuff for the first time. I really bludgeoned the 8-32-bit generations.

4. I'd take the 8 and 16-bit generations over the Playstation one mostly because too many PS games look like utter crap now. There are lots of great games in a whole bunch of genres, but most have aged horribly. There's still a ton of obscure and import Genesis and SNES games I've never played, and they still look great.

That being said, I do have love for lots of PS and Saturn games. The shooters were excellent, and I sure did love me some King's Field. I played the shit out of those games. Resident Evil, Silent Hill, MG Solid, - lots of great games that simply couldn't be done before.

And James is right about Tempest. The Saturn version rocks. Saturn D-pad + redbook audio = awesome.
    Last edited by Melf; 06 Apr 2012 at 01:30 PM.

5. Even though a large number of the 3D games look pretty bad now, I think the jump from the 16-bit consoles to the PSX and Saturn was the most jarring. I remember playing a demo of Jumping Flash! on a display unit in Sears right before the system came out and thinking it was the craziest thing I'd ever seen a home system do. That feeling persisted through most of its lifespan, especially when some of the bigger budget stuff started coming out (Parasite EVE, Tekken 2, Soul Blade, FFVII, MGS, Resident Evil).

Playing the sampler that came with Tobal No.1 was such a mind-blowing experience back then. I recall showing the FFVII demo to some friends and the room being so quiet you could hear a pin drop during that opening cinema. It's funny to think what a novelty playing Square games on a non-Nintendo system was to me.

6. Cripes. Did anyone mention Silent Bomber?

To this day the single thing I loved about 32 bit was seeing a game in a magazine one month and seeing it released the next.

And 15 years later I still need to try The Divide, looked intriguing at the time.

7. I hated The Divide when I first tried it, but people on here like Neozeedeater said it was really good. My issues were entirely graphical, in a "why are we forsaking beautiful 2D art for these wretched looking polygons?"
    Many compared it to a metroid style of game.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Another game that I loved with horrendous technical limitations: G-Police. Playing as a VTOL future cop, you had to scan targets to make sure they were enemies or civilians before shooting them down.
    I never tried the PC version.
    I was just thinking of this game but the short draw distance really soured my enjoyment of the game. Especially when it came out the same time as Colony Wars and I liked that much better.

9. Colony Wars was hot shit!

My PS1 days started when I saw Toshinden at a Kaybee toys. It looked amazing at the time. Never bought it though, thankfully. When I picked up my system, I ended up with Wipeout, Destruction Derby and MK3. Wipeout REALLY made an impression on me. I was amazed by how it looked, soundtrack and most importantly, the style. After that, I was full on a PS1 fan and I bought a TON of games for it.

Oh shit, I forgot about MK3. I never bought it, and MK3 was shit, but I remember Sears having a demo PSX at launch with MK3 running. The game was the hot game at the arcade, so all the kids ran to Sears to play it instead, and was amazed at its arcade perfectness. Then we went home and played our SNES/Genesis versions.