Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XenGamers Tops 15 Developers of All Time

1. XenGamers Tops 15 Developers of All Time

XenGamers

i must say that was a pretty bad list. Namco should've been in the top 3 for PacMan alone (as if all their other masterpieces weren't good enough though).

i mean crap, Rare and Treasure were placed in higher spots than SNK, that's fuckin nuts. not to mention that SNK didn't even make the Top 10.

also, i like Taito and all. but #3?! over Namco, SNK, Capcom, Rare, Konami, and Treasure, that's really fuckin insane.

no Technos either. lame.

well, atleast they got the #1 Spot right. but whoever doesn't agree with that #1 spot can only be one thing... your typical TNL Member.

2. I think Nintendo if a fine choice for #1. They are the only company that can use their franchises successfully. Not only are their games fun, but they can make each game in a unique way that it doesn't feel like you are playing a true sequel. The differences between Super Mario Bros 1, 2, & 3 are distinct.

The only gripe I have about that list is Sega. I don't like how the dev teams are always in the shadow of their mother company and developer, Sega. I think it's time that the industry needs to recognize each dev team as their own independent right and Sega is what binds them together.

3. Considering that Taito was one of two developers who invented the modern arcade industry (Atari being the other), they have every right to be in the top 3.

And considering that SNK has been little more than a derivative 2D fighter and run 'n gun shooter factory for the past twelve years (albeit a very good one), I'd say they belong in the #11 spot.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. Originally posted by sleeveboy
    Considering that Taito was one of two developers who invented the modern arcade industry (Atari being the other), they have every right to be in the top 3.
    i completely understand this and all, but if that's the reason they're getting so much credit is because of what they did for the arcade industry, then shouldn't Namco be atleast be at the #2 Spot?

i mean shit, PacMan and Galaga. that really does say enough.

Andy787 Guest
    Of course the list has tons of flaws, but as with most lists like that, there's going to be a lot of disagreeances. For one, I would've put SEGA as #1

6. Not bad.

They clearly said that they were counting games developed and published by each company, so it doesn't make sense for HAL and Nintendo to be seperate, since Nintendo publishes everything HAL does.

They seemed to put an importance on what each company has meant to videogames in general, so I think putting Nintendo at #1 is the right choice.

7. Originally posted by Swirly
    The only gripe I have about that list is Sega. I don't like how the dev teams are always in the shadow of their mother company and developer, Sega. I think it's time that the industry needs to recognize each dev team as their own independent right and Sega is what binds them together.
    The same could be said of Nintendo.

In any case, I do some problems with positioning (Rare above Treasure? Square above Capcom?) on that list, but we all differ.

8. Originally posted by MechDeus
    The same could be said of Nintendo.
    i wouldn't say that. cause i mean, by that logic the same could be said about any developer that has more than one team.

it's very obvious that Sega is run differently.

9. Originally posted by Lucas Barton
    i wouldn't say that. cause i mean, by that logic the same could be said about any developer that has more than one team.
    That's exactly my point.

In most companies, the members of teams switch around amongst each other, and outside help is brought in, so there are no "set teams" and any name for them usually deals with their current project. In Sega, however, the teams have bonded into seperate groups a little bit more then usual, and actually decided to give themselves names. I still consider them all Sega, and perhaps their idea to actually fuse together members instead of the traditional method is what's helped them out in game development.

I think the list is pretty good overall. I'll accept that this is a console/arcade list which would explain the absence of computer game developers.

Nintendo and Sega do belong in the top two spots but depending on the criteria used, I would change or keep their positions.

If we're considering the total number of good games made, then Sega would easily be number one.

If we're considering the best track record and therefore the best percentage of masterpieces, then Nintendo would easily be number one.

Capcom, Konami, Namco, Atari, and Taito all deserve top 10 status. IMO, Taito deserves to be way ahead of SNK and Rare.

As a publisher, Hudson kicked ass but since this is supposed to be a developer list, they should have listed Red instead since they were probably the best developer for Hudson.

And I agree with keeping Sega as one entity. Almost every developer has multiple teams with different names. Sega only fairly recently made them semi-separate companies. Most of their history cannot be neatly divided into teams.

Why they chose to keep HAL separate from Nintendo is beyond me. Most of HAL's best games were made after Nintendo rescued them from bankruptcy and they became part of Nintendo.