Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 515171819202123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ys Thread: Ancient Ys Discussed Series

1. If a portable gaming device doesn't have physical controls built in, then it's useless.

That's a kin to saying that if a home "gaming device" doesn't come packaged with a controller, then it's useless. It's erroneous and antiquated. If not for the Sega 3D Classics line and finishing up the Danganronpa series, dedicated "portable gaming devices" would be completely useless to me.

3. I'm not going to carry a dumb controller around with me to play my phone. If I'm doing that, I may as well carry the thing actually designed to play games. The same thing that already has several Ys games loaded onto it, as well as plenty of (legal) PS1, PSP, PSN, and Vita games. But I guess all those games are useless.

4. They certainly can't compete with the depth and presentation of angry flapping bird and fruit/rope cutting games.

Shin Megami Tensei plays just fine with touch controls, and I can't think of a much larger departure from the casual stereotypes.

However, you're spot on that there is no material difference between carrying an extra controller or a dedicated portable. I wish there were an obvious and optimal choice like the PC for home gaming, but the lack of a Vita-or-better Xperia Play kills that. So I tend to rotate the 3DS for the Sega 3D Classics, the Vita primarily for Danganronpa but also for some of the older stuff, and my phone for stuff like Vice City in HD. The pendulum is going to continue to swing further to the phone though.

6. i can't get into SMT or Dragon Quest on iPhone because i can't deal with the touch controls. I'm trying but it's not working.

if Vita or 3DS had Line i wouldn't even need a phone
    Donk

7. Cut the Rope is a really, really good videogame.

8. Is it? I'll get it for my 3DS then.

9. I get so aggregated when games that should support controllers don't. Stranger's Wrath most recently. I used to blame this on stuff being targeted for iOS but now there isn't that excuse.

That said, the first Ys was pretty simple in terms of controls and gameplay mechanics so I'm not really that worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I get so aggregated
    That really adds up.