Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Ys Thread: Ancient Ys Discussed Series

1. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post

What's the best way to play Ys IV and V besides waiting for inevitable remakes?
    I'm assuming there are fan translations of the PCE IV and the Super Famicom V. The Super Famicom Ys IV isn't the same game but worth a try if you are really into the series.

II, IV, and V all got remakes by Taito for the Japanese PS2, the soundtracks are suspect and the overall quality barely meets expectations.

2. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    Alright, I'm sick of running to the next area and doing 0 damage to things like the game is shouting "GRIND! GRIND!" in my ear.

This is the Worst. How many of you have actually beaten Napishtim?
    I beat VI, but it was on PS2 where the load times aren't nearly as bad (still looks horrible, though).

IV remake is coming for Vita, and likely localized by XSeed, so you could wait for that.

3. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    Alright, I'm sick of running to the next area and doing 0 damage to things like the game is shouting "GRIND! GRIND!" in my ear.

Played and beat it on PC. The PSP version is pretty awful, honestly. The load times are just atrociously bad. I don't recall much of a problem with grinding and such; it seemed pretty comparable to any other game in the series. The only thing I really disliked was the insane amount of backtracking throughout. Be sure to keep your swords upgraded as you progress.

4. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post

Out of all versions of that game I've heard the PS2 version has been the most forgiving. The PSP version was pretty bad.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

5. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post

I've beaten the PC version of Napishtim. Hoarding healing items actually made it a bit easier for me than Felghana- next time I play this one, I'll bump the difficulty up a notch or two from Normal. Felghana's combo system really helps cut down on grinding- at the max of 99 hits you're getting double EXP.

While Deuce has finished translating Ys V, Gideon Zhi has said that hacking the game to put in the translation is the hard part. Ys V seriously begs for a remake done on Felghana's engine.

Shame we'll probably NEVER see Brandish: The Dark Revenant (PSP) get localized for the USA. Still, the Japanese text hasn't kept me from finishing a couple dungeons of it. While the SNES version is decent, DR truly kills it by fixing a lot of the 16-bit version's gripes and adding "completion stones" which can be smashed for bonus items if you clear a floor 100%.

I've recently bought Ys VI on PSP for a decent price, and it's not too bad for an on the go version- if you're able to tolerate a little tech bullshit. The gameplay is there, but Konami Shanghai dropped the ball on framerate. That can be really good at a stable 30, but it can fall closer to 20 in busier areas. It's playable, but I'd rather have seen Falcom do the porting instead of Konami's team esp. when Felghana turned out so good. Load times of 10-15 seconds are usual. It bites that Ys VI is UMD only, since Vita can improve performance on PSP games (i.e. unstable 30 FPS to stable).
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 11 May 2012 at 02:09 AM.

Do we have an official Ys Origin thread? I don't trust the search function.

If not, we should. Out on Steam May 31st for $19.99. GLEE!
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

I decided that I really needed to finish Ys Chronicles, but I realized why I stopped, I'm stuck on fucking Druegar. I guess I need to do some level grinding.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Do we have an official Ys Origin thread? I don't trust the search function.

If not, we should. Out on Steam May 31st for $19.99. GLEE!
    Yeah, I know! I've never bought a game day 1 on Steam, but I'm gonna do it for this!

9. Ys Origin got shit on a bit in reviews for revisiting Darm Tower yet again (the entire game takes place there), but I enjoyed it. The Ys VI engine was definitely starting to show its age at that point, and the soundtrack is probably the weakest in the series, but you get two (really four, counting unlockables after the last patch) characters to play as that have completely different styles. Using Hugo turns the game into a sort of platforming run-and-gun. Awesome stuff.

Gohan, I think I'm usually level 40 around that point in the game. Your fireball is influenced by both level and your offensive equipment, so make sure you've got the Hyper Cutter. Charged shots!

What is the proper order of the series? With all the ports and delayed translations, I'm confused as hell as to what goes before what.