Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 578910111323 ... LastLast

Thread: Ys Thread: Ancient Ys Discussed Series

1. Did you play Civ 4? I thought from what i read it was much better than 5.

No, I don't think I've played any of them before. And this one has achievements.

3. I tried playing the first Ys when it was released on the virtual console and couldn't get into it at all, so I wrote the series off. Origins is rad as fuck so far though. Got Felghana also.

4. Everything made with the Ys VI engine (including Felghana and Origins) plays pretty similarly, so I imagine you'll probably like it too.

5. For some reason I thought the Ys series were all side-scrollers, and starred a female originally? I know Ys III on the SNES was a side-scroller but I think I always confused it with some other shitty-looking series (not that Ys III ever looked good) which is why I never cared about it. Origin and Felghana look pretty hot so I'm excited to play those.

Did VI ever get a real English release or is it still just fan translated?

6. Yeah, that looks like it. Good call.

7. Fast paced nature is awesome. Default mapping menu to clicking the right stick instead of start: the fuck? Something is missing when it comes to me recognizing that I got hit, but not sure if it's the almost complete lack of a physical reaction, weak sound effect, or what. Starting on nightmare may have been a bad choice because that first boss's lifebar was almost to the point of boring me (or maybe it was the near-constant invincibility state painfully dragging the fight out), but I feel like the game would be too easy otherwise. Oh well, I guess I'll see.

I feel like I should be able to map more stuff at once, like that item to let you see secret passageways would be a lot nicer if I could just use one of the 10 unused buttons/hat switches on my gamepad to toggle it. I'm guessing this is a holdover from the design of the original, or am I missing something?

But yeah, this is pretty good. I'm liking it. The enemies explode nicely but I wish there was more blood instead of just leaving behind that menstrual smear when they die.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    The enemies explode nicely but I wish there was more blood instead of just leaving behind that menstrual smear when they die.
    MONSTER!

That is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Fast paced nature is awesome. Default mapping menu to clicking the right stick instead of start: the fuck? Something is missing when it comes to me recognizing that I got hit, but not sure if it's the almost complete lack of a physical reaction, weak sound effect, or what.
    I agree with this completely. There are some red numbers that pop up, but they aren't noticeable enough when a lot is going on.