Page 1 of 28 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Ys Thread: Ancient Ys Discussed Series

1. Ys Thread: Ancient Ys Discussed Series

As suggested in the PSP thread here us a thread about ask things Ys. I asked about the F2P game in that threat but feel free to answer here.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

2. Dear Falcom,

Please release for consoles at least one of the billion remakes you make of this series each year. I'm not buying a PSP/Vita/DS/Game.Con to play them.

Although I will grab Oath in Felghana on Steam once it goes on sale.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Dear Falcom,

Please release for consoles at least one of the billion remakes you make of this series each year. I'm not buying a PSP/Vita/DS/Game.Con to play them.

It is only $15, what price are you looking for?

4. Less than that, I guess.

I haven't bought a $60 game in ages but I buy all sorts of stuff for $15 and below.

The Oath in Felghana is an excellent release, by the way.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Dear Falcom,

I actually bought everything from Eternal/Complete onward for PC directly from Falcom at import prices. It's the only series I'll still do that for. Always thought it was cool that they ship outside of Japan and even have staff that speak (limited) English to deal with orders from abroad. You'll enjoy Oath, especially if you played through Wanderers from Ys.

The PSP release of Ys I and II was the first Ys game and possibly the first Falcom RPG I'd ever played. I pretty much loved everything about it.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

I've only played Ys I and II on Turbo CD and PSP myself. Fantastic. I'm trying to decide if I want to get Turbo Ys 3 or just stick with the PSP games.

Wasn't 3 the game licensed out to two different companies leading to two weird versions? I played the SNES version and it was horrible garbage. The PSP game is a re-imagining of the game by Falcom themselves, which sounds fantastic to me.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

I don't know about the licensing, but I have heard the SNES version is horrible, and I know people who haven't touched the series as a result. Supposedly the Turbo version is a good game once you get over the fact it doesn't play like the other Ys games. Ys 4 is considered the true sequel to the earlier games.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Wasn't 3 the game licensed out to two different companies leading to two weird versions? I played the SNES version and it was horrible garbage. The PSP game is a re-imagining of the game by Falcom themselves, which sounds fantastic to me.
    Ys III was more or less the same game on every platform it appeared on. The quality of the graphics and music varied (the TGCD soundtrack was incredible), but that was about it. It was the Zelda II of the series, abandoning the overhead perspective for side scrolling action. Oath keeps the story and settings, but looks and plays more like Ys VI. The updated music is really good, too.

Ys IV was farmed out to two different companies. Tonkin House made Ys IV: Mask of the Sun for the Super Famicom, and Hudson made Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys for the Duo. Despite Hudson's game being vastly superior, Mask of the Sun is considered canon. Falcom's in the process of remaking it themselves, and if Oath is any indication, it's going to be awesome.