Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 132325262728 LastLast

Thread: Ys Thread: Ancient Ys Discussed Series

1. I beat VIII recently. I got the true ending and got hit by the feels like a fuckin train

I've been looking to play another Ys game but not sure which one. Does order matter?

2. Not really, there's definitely a story line, and some easter eggs if you've played other entries. However you won't be lost storyline wise if you play them out of order. Except for 1 and 2, they really basically 1 game and should be played in order. If you really liked VIII, VII and Memories of Celceta are the ones that play most similarly to it. VII is on PSP and PC now, while Memories of Celceta is on Vita and coming soon to PC. I think VII might be on sale on steam right now for almost half off. Memories of Celceta is a remake of IV.

If you're interested in trying more classic Ys, there is Ys I and II Chronicles on PC, and PSP, and Oath in Felghana (remake of III) on PC and PSP as well.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. Celceta is now on GOG & Steam, $22.49 for the rest of July- then $24.99 after. I played it for a little over an hour & am pleased with how it turned out. Visual effects that were on the PSVita but didn't make it into Joyoland's disappointing PC version are in- you'll see the cloud shadows on the Beast Plains, & better lighting. Some of the textures are a bit rough, but like I said, that's nothing an HD pack couldn't fix. Someone has already been tinkering with Kaldaien's Special K mod for this.

4. Before starting with Celceta, be sure to uncheck Create Thumbnail on Autosave (it's on by default). If left on, it can cause some lag spikes/hitching.

5. I dug out my Playstation TV and brought it in to work to see how PSP and PS1 games would look on an HD CRT in 480p mode.

Well, I only had a few PSP and Vita games on the memory stick in it (PS1 must be on a different one) so I fired up Ys I & II Chronicles.
    Lots of shit is talked about Vic and his pop culture references. How come no one bitches about the Hall and Oates reference made in the first 5 minutes of Ys 1?!

(While Adol is still in bed, Slaff says oh here she comes watch out boy she'll chew you up)

That does rank up there with the stupid Bill Clinton joke in Lunar.

7. I haven't played Chronicles but if I had I would complain about it. I'm personally not a big fan of XSeed. I know the internet loves them, but I don't like shit like that, or when they throw in the name of one of their developers just fucking randomly. It really kept throwing me off in Ys VII when you have names like Cruxie, Geis, Mishera, and Mustafa, then suddenly Steven Johnson, and John Smith. That shit just really bugs the hell out of me.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

8. It doesn’t really bother me, I thought it was funny how they throw a fit about one guy doing it but ignore exceed doing it. The dialog worked whether you knew the song or not so it’s fine.

p.s. Playstation tv sucks for ps1 games on a 4:3 because there’s setting for 4:3 output. So ps1 games have huuuggee empty space on all sides of the picture. PS3 can be set to 4:3 can’t it?

9. *no setting for 4:3

Yeah I tried using a PSTV on a 4:3 set too and it sucked since it had no aspect ratio settings. PS3 will play PS1 in 4:3, I've been playing Metal Gear Solid on it today.

Also, if you use a PS1 on a PSP with component cables it will actually spit out 240p.

*edit* I'm not sure if a PS3 will spit out 4:3 through the HDMI connection though. I'll check mine in a bit. You might also check to see if your TV has a 16:9 mode, my Sony SD set does which can come in handy with 16:9 sources, I actually use it with an Xbox One that I have connected through a HDMI to component converter.
    Last edited by GohanX; 15 Sep 2018 at 10:05 PM.