Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Republique (iOS, PC, Mac)

Republique (iOS, PC, Mac)

I'm already tired of the Kickstarter hoopla. However, Republique is different. Unlike every other Kickstarter I am aware of, this one isn't going to waste the hardware for which it is being created. I don't think a PC game that is going to interest me can be developed for $3M (or way less in many cases) in 2012. You can, however, create an iOS game for $1+M. The Kickstarter is targeting $500,000, as the other half is already funded, so this isn't vaporware. And they get it:
    iOS is becoming a great gaming platform, but where are the games for people who love intense action and story-driven experiences? Where are the AAA games designed specifically for touch-based devices? As someone who loathes virtual joysticks, I have great respect for what Chair Entertainment did with Infinity Blade: they built an action game specifically for touch devices. We aim to do the same.
    Here are the stated goals:
    • Design a game and write a story for touch-based devices
    • Create an intense action game without a focus on killing
    • Feature a believable, non-sexualized female lead
    • Explore heavy topics, say something meaningful
    • Push cutting-edge graphics on mobile

And target specs:
    • 4-6 hour campaign
    • "Stealth Survival" hybrid genre
    • Metroidvania exploration & 3D map mode
    • Branching, gripping, pull-no-punches story
    • Full voiceovers
    • Real-time cinematics

You get the actual game with a pledge of $10 and then can choose physical goodies for more.

2. What a bunch of pretentious twats. Who the fuck are Camouflaj and Logan and why should I care about their collaboration? Make a good game and we'll talk.

3. Great developers create games for ideas. Average developers create ideas for games. Camouflaj and Logan develop limited edition packaging, marketing pitches, and back-of-the-box bulletpoints for ideas for games.

BUT "heavy" is my favorite flavor of topics, so I'm optimistic!

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I'm already tired of the Kickstarter hoopla. However, Republique is different. Unlike every other Kickstarter I am aware of, this one isn't going to waste the hardware for which it is being created. I don't think a PC game that is going to interest me can be developed for $3M (or way less in many cases) in 2012. You can, however, create an iOS game for $1+M.
    lol getthefuckouttahere.

5. Whatever, dude. You guys running around subsidizing all of these pull-some-punches games is the reason why pull-no-punches games never come out anymore. Unpulling punches ain't free.

6. I am not supporting any kickstarter. If they can't get enough funding for downloadable games, then it is their problem.

When the game comes out and it is good, I will pay.

7. 1M for a Metroid game on a device with no buttons? Screw that.

It's not a Metroid game. It has a Metroid map.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    I am not supporting any kickstarter. If they can't get enough funding for downloadable games, then it is their problem.

When the game comes out and it is good, I will pay.
    I've backed Wasteland 2, Double Fine, Shadowrun, Leisure Suit Larry and The Banner Saga. If it's something I really want or something amazing I'll back it, but not this shit.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. That's exactly how Kickstarter is supposed to work. It's not a charity. If you think it's worth your time, get backing. If not, don't bother.

Personally, I'm more excited to get this than any of the games I've backed so far.

James
    Last edited by James; 10 Apr 2012 at 11:06 PM.