Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looper

1. I still haven't seen Source Code. Need to fix that.

2. Are you fucking insane?
    The second half of the movie was a piece of shit and made no sense.
    We saw that anything done to a person in the past manifests itself immediately to those in/from the future.
    So with what happened at the end, none of the things that happened all through the movie would have ever happened. Those people wouldn't be where they were or doing what they were doing.
    Cool premise and acting wise, I thought all the players were great (especially the kid, holy shit he was great). But as usual, the writer(s) wrote themselves into a corner and sloppiness and stupidity took over.
    Also: The rambo-esque scene at the office was completely unnecessary and silly. Took me right out of the movie.

3. You're right about the time travel goofs...I was thinking when old Seth was suddenly started losing fingers, his nose, his legs, etc, that there's no way he could have lived on the path that eventually brought him into that situation as a fucked-up cripple. It made no sense. It wasn't well-thought out or scripted in that sense at all. No fate but what we make, IMO.

But, I just suspended disbelief and enjoyed myself. Whatever.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. All time travel movies are full of paradox bullshit. As soon as you start thinking about it too much you will ruin it. Looper is good anyways.

5. I was thinking the same thing... that's the crux of time travel in general. Like questioning how magic works or something... it's just a device.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    All time travel movies are full of paradox bullshit. As soon as you start thinking about it too much you will ruin it. Looper is good anyways.
    fun fact: if you try to figure out the linear progression of "primer" you start rubbing your finger up and down your lips making cartoon insane noises, then fall onto your side and run in an endless circle

7. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    fun fact: if you try to figure out the linear progression of "primer" you start rubbing your finger up and down your lips making cartoon insane noises, then fall onto your side and run in an endless circle
    This is true. This saved me a lot of time/hurting my brain

http://www.nobleworld.biz/images/Gendler.pdf
    "I don't like fellas that kill me. Not in general."

8. Looper is one hell of a roller coaster ride.
    I was just hoping for more.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Like questioning how magic works or something... it's just a device.
    The existence of time travel or magic in a story is the disbelief accepted by the audience, and it's then up to the writer to make sure that everything which happens adheres to the laws of the fake literary device that are being used. If they create paradoxes which aren't resolved in some fashion or people start blatantly going against established rules then you just have shitty writing.

Yes, most time travel stories screw themselves up but that's not because the idea is inherently flawed (especially since because time travel is made up the writer can literally just make up reasons to avoid screw ups), and is instead because most people who write about it don't think it through.

10. The whole thing was ruined by the conceit of "I remember things after you do them."
    So right after JGL had his huge insight at the end, that should have been the end of it. Bruce Willis would remember that insight and stop doing what he was doing. There would have been no reason for what JGL ultimately did. In fact, that should have been the end of that whole timeline. JGL makes the realization and POOF! Mom and kid are in the farmhouse learning math or something.