Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Not Space Quest (Update: Demo is out, video within)

1. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    RPS readers were complaining about the glut of stories dedicated to games that don't exist in any form whatsoever so it was all lumped into a weekly column. Even so, they occasionally mention a special case and I expect them to feature this one before the time is up.
    Yeah, RPS is still ok about it, but they're an indie-centric publication. Gamespy and Gamespot now limit coverage to a weekly column, IGN pretends they don't exist (also pretty much everything that isn't a billion dollar franchise these days), Kotaku seems to have cut most of it off, Destructoid too... Giantbomb says they're not doing KS posts anymore either.

It's really most of the major sites out there. It blew up too fast and people got burnt out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash View Post
    What happens to your money if it doesn't make it?
    There is no money if it doesn't make it. No one gets billed unless you're over the goal line at close.

2. I don't see why any of these sites need to be discussing a fundraising drive in the first place.

Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer want to make a new adventure game. Is this newsworthy? Yes.
    Brian Fargo wants to make Wasteland 2. Is this newsworthy? Yes.
    A new Tex Murphy game is planned. Is this newsworthy? Yes.
    The Two Guys From Andromeda, who haven't worked together for years after a rather messy blowup, are back together to make a new adventure game. Is this newsworthy? Yes.

4. I don't think any of that is newsworthy until there is, you know, a game to show. That is something I believe the Space Quest guys actually do have that the others do not.

And Tex Murphy wasn't even newsworthy back when they were still making the games.

edit: I really think the ridiculous Republique drive was what killed the interest in this.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I don't see why any of these sites need to be discussing a fundraising drive in the first place.
    Two legendary and (in)famously estranged game designers, one of whom has been vocally bitter and resntful in recent years decide to get back together and make a spiritual successor to their biggest hit? Yeah, it's newsworthy, Kickstarter or not.

I can understand the perception that game journalists shouldn't be shills for people and aren't there to advertise fundraising campaigns, but at the same time, some of these really are noteworthy and if they weren't kickstarters, yes, everyone would be reporting on them. I think that's kind of the rule of thumb that needs to be looked at.

Would IGN report on Republique's announcement or cancellation? No. So they shouldn't report on the KS. But would they report on Wasteland 2's? Of course they would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    And Tex Murphy wasn't even newsworthy back when they were still making the games.
    Under a Killing Moon was a big hit and got a lot of hype leading up to its launch. All of them got a lot of press really, although Overseer didn't sell all that well. (Of course Overseer was kind of meant as a smaller side game and cost a lot less so maybe that's ok too).

I think a lot of people have forgotten a lot of PC-only game franchises that were pretty huge. For some reason if you sold 100,000 copies on NES people remember now, but if you sold a million on PC, people act like it never happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    edit: I really think the ridiculous Republique drive was what killed the interest in this.
    Dude, you're the one who keeps bringing that game up. Fuck that game, I didn't back it and I don't think anyone else here did either.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 08 Jun 2012 at 05:58 PM.

6. I backed it before it was mainstream. I had planned on cancelling near the end with the shitstorm of promotion, but I got lazy.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

7. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    I don't see why any of these sites need to be discussing a fundraising drive in the first place.
    Because video game sites should cover video game news. One guy doing a billionty-hour open world action RPG with procedurally generated content that's the most awesomest thing ever should rightly be ignored, but a new Space Quest hinging on fan involvement? That's news, and worth coverage.

James

8. Quote Originally Posted by AaronChance View Post
    I backed it before it was mainstream. I had planned on cancelling near the end with the shitstorm of promotion, but I got lazy.
    As much as they were putting out too many updates toward the end, I gotta say the commentaries and the interviews with Ken Williams were awesome for any Sierra fanboy, and if getting those guys talking about the old days in that kind of depth is all we got out of the campaign, it's not a bad consolation prize.

And they made it! $503k as I post this.

10. Hooray!

Frog may be burnt out on these adventure Kickstarters but I've gotta be honest: I'd crowdsource the shit out of a new Quest for Glory.