Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Not Space Quest (Update: Demo is out, video within)

1. Not Space Quest (Update: Demo is out, video within)

http://guysfromandromeda.com

So after 21 years, it seems like Mark Crowe and Scott Murphy, better known by their alter-egos, the Two Guys from Andromeda, have reunited to make a new adventure game. It seems like it will be a sci-fi spoof adventure game, with Gary Owns as narrator, but no one's saying the words "Space Quest" so they probably don't have the license. Also, no one is saying anything about Kickstarter, so maybe Double Fine's success is already having some ripple effects with investors.

I love the Space Quest series, probably my favorite adventure series, definitely my favorite Sierra series. I love the way they used the narration to spoof the old Buck Rogers radio dramas. There are a million parodies of Star Wars and Star Trek out there (and eventually SQ went down this road too in the last two games), but I like how Space Quest went for more of a 30s sci fi pulp novel feel. I don't care if this game has Roger in it or not, the narrator was always my favorite character.

2. Man, you already said everything. You're absolutley right about the narrator being the best character in Space Quest.

I want to hug Tim Schafer for all of these revivals.

edit: Wait, Gary Owens as in Space Quest 4 Narrator Gary Owens? BEST NEWS EVER
    Last edited by epmode; 14 Apr 2012 at 08:45 PM.

3. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...s-of-space-que

The voice lineup is pretty great.

4. Wow talk about a nice lineup of voice actors.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

5. I'm up for pledging $10,000 if they can introduce me to that fine, extraterrestrial lady in the t-shirt.

6. I probably have more confidence in this project than any of the others besides Double Fine's. The Space Quest games were so good for their day, and it seems like they're going about this the right way.

But fuck, it's one week before the Tex Murphy one. Lord help me.

This could be really awesome if they avoid the That One Puzzle situation that most of the Space Quest games had. It seems like every game was mostly fair and logical (well, as fair as random deaths can be - and the deaths usually hinted at what to do to avoid them) except for a couple of utterly bizarre and nonsensical puzzles near the end. Space Quest I had you ignore a salesman's first offer so that you could get a jetpack that was essential later on. Space Quest II had the "put gem in mouth" puzzle (and getting the gem in the first place basically meant randomly stumbling upon the deeper area in the swamp). Space Quest III had you press a hidden button to activate a walkway (and the parser actively denied the existence of such a button if you typed "look at button"). Space Quest IV had the multiples-of-12 laser rotation puzzle that acted like you were expected to find the code to turn them off. Space Quest V had the Genetix canister on a hidden path that you had to locate in order to find the space station (not to mention evil copy protection that had "Kiz Urazgubi" listed on the star chart as only "K.U.").

8. Quote Originally Posted by bVork View Post
    This could be really awesome if they avoid the That One Puzzle situation that most of the Space Quest games had. It seems like every game was mostly fair and logical (well, as fair as random deaths can be - and the deaths usually hinted at what to do to avoid them) except for a couple of utterly bizarre and nonsensical puzzles near the end. Space Quest I had you ignore a salesman's first offer so that you could get a jetpack that was essential later on. Space Quest II had the "put gem in mouth" puzzle (and getting the gem in the first place basically meant randomly stumbling upon the deeper area in the swamp). Space Quest III had you press a hidden button to activate a walkway (and the parser actively denied the existence of such a button if you typed "look at button"). Space Quest IV had the multiples-of-12 laser rotation puzzle that acted like you were expected to find the code to turn them off. Space Quest V had the Genetix canister on a hidden path that you had to locate in order to find the space station (not to mention evil copy protection that had "Kiz Urazgubi" listed on the star chart as only "K.U.").
    That SQ4 one wasn't so bad. There was a thing where you had to write down the random time code to get back to the first area though. I vaguely recall that that a code might have been included in printed form on a sheet with the game, though. Like a throwback to the feelies thing. In any event it's obnoxious when you play it today since no one is going to have that anymore. I don't remember the SQ3 one either.

But yeah, when I bought a Space Quest game I expected to be stumped at some point. But then that was typical of adventure games at that time. I'm not really concerned about that happening in a modern adventure any more than I am concerned about them using a text parser. Product of the time.

9. I put down my $115. Like the video, the voice talent, and the art. Space Quest is my favorite adventure series, even if no one game is the best of the genre.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

The worst part of 4 was the anti-gravity rink puzzle because I didn't play it until my PC was faster than they had anticipated, and the Time Police dude would show up instantly and shoot me. I couldn't figure out if I was doing something wrong or if the solution lay elsewhere, and there wasn't a gamefaqs to look at back then.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery