Page 1 of 12 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The loudness war attacks your eyes: Orange and Teal

1. The loudness war attacks your eyes: Orange and Teal

I know I've gone on about the loudness war in audio. If you don't know, Google it.

Anyway, nobody listened.

Because of that, now the same sort of thing is auto-applied to the visuals in movies. Warning: once you see it, you can't unsee it. Orange and teal.

Every move has orange and teal digitally added in post production. Every. Movie. Genre does not matter. Tone does not matter. If the color used to be vaguely flesh-ish, it gets turned orange. Bad spray tans all around. If the color used to be pretty much anything else, it becomes teal. White especially simply does not exist in movies anymore. It is way too easy to turn white into light teal.

And just like the audio loudness war, this is being retroactively applied to old movies. Careful buying that new Blu Ray of Aliens. You get a mess of Teal and Orange.

Yes, this is a bit of an old thing. I bring it up now because I just watched The Other Guys last night and could barely make it through the movie due to the teal and orange pulling me out of every scene. That, and I've never seen it discussed here. So...discuss.

And this time don't give a shrug and a "meh" like the world collectively did when audio was ruined.

2. I listened, Cheebs!
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. Doc knows what's up.

5. "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. I color grade all the time and try to avoid it like lightning. But I think my next movie will be called Orange & Teal and just rape the fuck out of it.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Or, have NO instance of the colors Orange and Teal.

Or, make it in black and white except for that which is Orange and Teal.

This could work. Let's collaborate!
    I'm not a devious man by nature... but when you're unarmed, your tactics might gonna be downright Archimedean.

8. The villian could be like Hulk and everything turns Orange & Teal when he rages! Egad! XD

9. Gross, but not surprising.
    A lot of TVs seem to have special modes that 'enhance' the image by making colours sickeningly over-saturated.
    It's the kind of thing that impresses the shit out of morons.

10. I've noticed something off in modern movies, but couldn't place my finger on why shit looked weird.
    Thanks for opening my eyes.
    Fuck you for opening my eyes.