Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Get Serious: Mexico

1. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Correction, most of you need to open your minds. It seems that some already get it.
    You think you're being clever parodying liberals, but you have no clue about the issue. Nearly every city, county, state with a significant illegal population states the benifit outway cost. The probelem is not the immigrants, but the number of immigrants coming over. Americans don't like quick change. They also like the fake 50's America people seem to insist happened.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. I'm not parodying anything. The anti-immigrant crowd would deny these people the ability to live where they want, health care, education, and so on. These are basic human rights, and they are entitled to them regardless of ability to pay or circumstances of residency. Google the UN Human Rights Commission for more info. This isn't coming from me.

I'm disappointed in you, Doc.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C'mon, TNL Big Government Crowd, where are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    the benifit outway cost.
    Do they now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I think the easiest way to solve this is to cap the amount of income any one person can receive in a year at $50,000. You don't need more than that to survive, and many survive on much less. Any arguments against this are selfish and probably rooted in racism.

I would then use the extra money acquired to set up a social justice fund so that, after we open the floodgates, we can more easily accommodate our newest fellow citizens. If we have any additional money, we can also bolster Spanish in our schools (teach it concurrently with English), so as to make our society more inclusive.

Once you take greed out of the equation, it's not a difficult problem to solve.
    Don't know if serious....

I'll take a stab at explaining why your idea is horrible.

It would further take away power from the upper and mid range middle class and keep it in the hands of those that already have insane wealth. You would see almost no new small business growth because people will no longer have extra money or savings to invest in business ventures. They will either be forced into taking out loans that they will not be able to pay pack under your $50k cap or be forced incorporate, assuming corporations are not faced with a 50k cap (I have to assume they aren't, as capping the profit whatever of all corps, LLCs, and personal businesses owners to 50k would make the country come to a halt.)

I'm not a gouch or diff, but the stagnation of such a cap is rather overt.

I don't think any country has the know how, will power, or resources to do what Mexico needs. The people of Mexico, or an outside power need to reform Mexico by any means necessary. Maybe something along the lines of what the French did for the US at our founding.

The problem with Mexico is that it is shit. It is the shit country on a contentment with two superior countries above it. Canada and the United States are objectively better countries. Mexican government and industry need to be brought into the modern age. But there are not many people who can or would make these changes, and there are a lot of people both Mexican and American that make a whole lot of money off of Mexico being the shit hole of North America.

Mexico is the bad part of town where you can buy stuff cheap and buy sex and drugs. The powerful will never let it change because they either go downtown for their sex and drugs or they would rather invest their money and labor into the nice part of town that they live in.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    The problem with Mexico is that it is shit. It is the shit country on a contentment with two superior countries above it. Canada and the United States are objectively better countries. Mexican government and industry need to be brought into the modern age.
    Holy shit.

7. Andrew may be onto something.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...AFT_story.html

Fix income inequality with $10 million loans for everyone!

By Sheila Bair, Published: April 13

Are you concerned about growing income inequality in America? Are you resentful of all that wealth concentrated in the 1 percent? I’ve got the perfect solution, a modest proposal that involves just a small adjustment in the Federal Reserve’s easy monetary policy. Best of all, it will mean that none of us have to work for a living anymore.

For several years now, the Fed has been making money available to the financial sector at near-zero interest rates. Big banks and hedge funds, among others, have taken this cheap money and invested it in securities with high yields. This type of profit-making, called the “carry trade,” has been enormously profitable for them.

So why not let everyone participate?

Under my plan, each American household could borrow $10 million from the Fed at zero interest. The more conservative among us can take that money and buy 10-year Treasury bonds. At the current 2 percent annual interest rate, we can pocket a nice $200,000 a year to live on. The more adventuresome can buy 10-year Greek debt at 21 percent, for an annual income of $2.1 million. Or if Greece is a little too risky for you, go with Portugal, at about 12 percent, or $1.2 million dollars a year. (No sense in getting greedy.)

Think of what we can do with all that money. We can pay off our underwater mortgages and replenish our retirement accounts without spending one day schlepping into the office. With a few quick keystrokes, we’ll be golden for the next 10 years.

Of course, we will have to persuade Congress to pass a law authorizing all this Fed lending, but that shouldn’t be hard. Congress is really good at spending money, so long as lawmakers don’t have to come up with a way to pay for it. Just look at the way the Democrats agreed to extend the Bush tax cuts if the Republicans agreed to cut Social Security taxes and extend unemployment benefits. Who says bipartisanship is dead?

And while that deal blew bigger holes in the deficit, my proposal won’t cost taxpayers anything because the Fed is just going to print the money. All we need is about $1,200 trillion, or $10 million for 120 million households. We will all cross our hearts and promise to pay the money back in full after 10 years so the Fed won’t lose any dough. It can hold our Portuguese debt as collateral just to make sure.

Because we will be making money in basically the same way as hedge fund managers, we should have to pay only 15 percent in taxes, just like they do. And since we will be earning money through investments, not work, we won’t have to pay Social Security taxes or Medicare premiums. That means no more money will go into these programs, but so what? No one will need them anymore, with all the cash we’ll be raking in thanks to our cheap loans from the Fed.

Come to think of it, by getting rid of work, we can eliminate a lot of government programs. For instance, who needs unemployment benefits and job retraining when everyone has joined the investor class? And forget the trade deficit. Heck, we want those foreign workers to keep providing us with goods and services.

We can stop worrying about education, too. Who needs to understand the value of pi or the history of civilization when all you have to do to make a living is order up a few trades? Let the kids stay home with us. They can play video games while we pop bonbons and watch the soaps and talk shows. The liberals will love this plan because it reduces income inequality; the conservatives will love it because it promotes family time.

I’m really excited! This is the best American financial innovation since liar loans and pick-a-payment mortgages. I can’t wait to get my super PAC started to help candidates who support this important cause. I think I will call my proposal the “Get Rid of Employment and Education Directive.”

Some may worry about inflation and long-term stability under my proposal. I say they lack faith in our country. So what if it cost 50 billion marks to mail a letter when the German central bank tried printing money to pay idle workers in 1923?

That couldn’t happen here. This is America. Why should hedge funds and big financial institutions get all the goodies?

Look out 1 percent, here we come.

8. Yoshi is going to post in a second, completely oblivious to the fact that is meant to be tongue in cheek

9. I can feel his asshole puckering.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I can feel his asshole puckering.
    You'll feel lots of those in San Fran