Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 689101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Evil Within (PC, PS3/4, Xbox/360)

1. Nothing about this game makes me wants to play it a second time.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. I'm on Chapter 15 now, and I'm hoping to finish this one up when I get home from work today. For me, the game seems to get much easier after Chapter 10. I think it's a combination of my skills getting better, having a more leveled up character, and the game designers finally letting up on some of the brutally ridiculous difficulty spikes.

I'm absolutely loving this game though. It has the best horror atmosphere in any game I've played in quite a while, and I really feel like I'm fighting to survive in every inch of this game. So far, this and Forza Horizon 2 are my favorite games this year.

I just finished five. I'm doing a no upgrade run on hard mode and trying to get the intra-level achievements along the way. Even with all of those limitations, I think it's pretty great. My only complaint is that there is no way to stockpile ammo. In other words, if there is extra ammo lying around, I'd like to be able to stick it in the old RE magic chest for later use.

4. I would understand doing a second run through with no upgrades and whatnot while cleaning up trophies/achievements, but why limit yourself that much when first experiencing the game? Just wondering, not bashing or challenging your choice.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    In other words, if there is extra ammo lying around, I'd like to be able to stick it in the old RE magic chest for later use.
    Yeah, it would have been nice to have those item boxes to store ammo.

I just beat the game on Survival mode, and I'm ashamed at my stats.....the game says it took me 29 hours to beat it, and I died 459 times. LMFAO. How did I die THAT MANY times?! I know I was playing the game, after work, while I was half awake most of the time....but damn....lol. I loved every minute of the game though, and now I'm trying out New Game+. FWIW, I'm up to Chapter 5 on New Game+, it's only taken me an hour and a half to get there, and I haven't died yet. It's a ton of fun going through NG+, because it feels good to blow away these bosses and cheap stretches of enemies that gave me trouble the first time.

I'm very much looking forward to the DLC for this, and I'm hoping it will flesh out the storyline some more!

Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    I would understand doing a second run through with no upgrades and whatnot while cleaning up trophies/achievements, but why limit yourself that much when first experiencing the game? Just wondering, not bashing or challenging your choice.
    I'm not claiming this is right, but I know I am not going to play any modern (post-2000) game three times, because it has yet to happen a single time. Thus, I generally look at what can be done in one or two play thoughs. In this case, the second play through will be on the unlockable hardest difficulty. I sure as hell don't want limited abilities and extra challenge during that, so I'll go for those on the easier, first go-round.

7. Yeah but maybe part of that is your first run sours you on the game because you try too hard to do everything.

I was on this "gotta play on max difficulty" deal for a while and it was pretty lame most of the time. My new thinking is the game, if good, is balanced at some difficulty level (not necessarily NORMAL) and not limiting yourself semi-arbitrarily and I will play there. If I enjoy it, I might replay it on a harder level and do X (or I might just play it again on the same one).
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 24 Oct 2014 at 10:39 AM.

That possibility definitely exists, but I don't bother to finish most games I don't really like, let alone twice. The one that I did finally just go back to an easier difficulty that I recall was RE5, but that was because the game was basically set up to make it impossible to play on hard without co-op the first time through. That's an even more annoying design decision than locked difficulties in the first place.

edit: The achievements that ruin games for me are the collectibles. I've pretty much stopped doing those, unless they're visible on the in-game map, like the Arkham games.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 24 Oct 2014 at 11:03 AM.

9. Yeah but playing RE5 by yourself (the first time anyway) was doing it wrong. Same with Gears.

True fact: Despite having Gears in the GotG Top 10 (and RE5 somewhere in the top 30, probably), I have never finished it by myself. I really should rectify that...
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 24 Oct 2014 at 11:12 AM.

I did both the Gears games I played the same way. I solo'd the hardest default difficulty and then co-oped the unlockable one. Ramon and I pasted 2 in a weekend, which was a blast.

I didn't finish RE5 until the Gold edition on PS3, so nobody was playing that by then.