Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's Out in May 2012?

Isn't DD a western-focused Monster Hunter? I didn't think it was similar at all to Skyrim or the Witcher.

2. They would be much better games with DD's combat system, at least as far as I can tell.

It really doesn't look anything like Monster Hunter. Why would anybody say that?

I think it's a Japanese take on a western RPG.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    It really doesn't look anything like Monster Hunter. Why would anybody say that?

I think it's a Japanese take on a western RPG.
    I'm remembering way back to the E3(?) unveiling. I haven't followed it at all since, so maybe everything has changed from what I remember.

edit: It was Bacon who pointed it out originally:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Co-op doesn't make a damn bit of sense for an Elder Scrolls game, it's not a game where any given person's pace is going to match up with another's. A big part of the series' identity is all the world-building in big heaping walls of text and stuff, you gonna sit around while your pal decides to read some 20-page book?

Anyway, this game. Looks like Middle Earth Monster Hunter... Eh, I dunno, I prefer my Japanese games more bombastic and weird in setting.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 03 May 2012 at 01:44 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    The first videos and screenshots were just a group of people hunting some big monsters. They didn't show quests or dialogue or anything.

6. Dragon's Dogma doesn't have co-op, though.

I admit the game as a whole is a bit of an odd duck, but my original comment seems to hold. A lot of these western-style RPGs have absolutely junk combat systems and this has been going on for decades (Ultima VII - brilliant game, terrible combat) and would be undeniably improved with a better one.

I mean, imagine if Skyrim had a Monster Hunter style combat system. That'd be a pretty awesome game no?

All I do in Elder Scrolls games is shoot shit with arrows, so it already works for me. I have no doubt that you are right about melee though. Have you played The Witcher 2, or are you basing your comparison on the first?

8. I could have sworn I played a demo of DD a few weeks ago and thought it was a buggy cluster-f

9. Both Witchers have had good combat. I liked the combat in Witcher 2 above the Dragon's Dogma demo, even after trying two classes. Though similar, Witcher 2 has more of a sense of weight and heft, while in DD everyone feels like they're made of baloons and fighting with plastic toys.
    "I've watched while the maggots have defiled the earth. They have
    built their castles and had their wars. I cannot stand by idly any longer." - Otogi 2

10. Pumped for Mushihimesama. I'll probably get Dragon's Dogma, and peer pressure will probably make me get Diablo.