Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 791011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Reminisce: Sega Saturn

1. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    That sounds cool and all, but now that you've spoiled it for me I don't wanna play.
    The twist is that you wouldn't have cared enough to play it before knowing the story.

Sorry man, I figured it was fair game after coming out like fifteen years ago.

SSJN:

I was just joking. I've actually been interested in the game, but fuck paying the current going price for it on ebay. That and I have a bazillion RPGs in my pile of shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.

Fun fact despite slowdown Sega Saturn SOTN had Maria, and I bet you guys don't know that Suikoden came to the Saturn.

4. Sega's false start with Daytona USA didn't help, but at least they made up for it with CCE. OTOH, the lack of a US release of the RAM cart and the games that required it REALLY blew hard (really smart move Bernie Stolar- if you want to kill the Saturn! You left some popular Capcom fighters exclusive to the RAM starved PS1.).

I'll give thanks to Acclaim for getting us Darius Gaiden and Rayforce (Galactic Attack/Layer Section), but there was a lot you'd miss without an import ready Saturn. Then there's Bubble Symphony, Elevator Action II, Soukyugurentai, Battle Garegga, Shienryu, Guardian Force, and KOF'95- the one that drove me to get my Saturn modded, since it had its own ROM cart included.

Given the Saturn's 2D power, TechnoSoft should've stuck with 2D sprites for Thunder Force V. Had they gone that route using the 4M cart to milk the Saturn for all it could manage, TFV would've likely been far more than just decent. We'd have had the TFIV/Lightening Force killer I had hoped for- with more enemies and bullets on screen, nicer weapon effects, more parallax, larger bosses, etc.

As with the Dreamcast, the Japanese lineup is better.

TF5 came out at least a year before the 4MB cart, and I doubt they would have used it anyway. Being sprite only wouldn't have changed how they wanted TF5 to play, regardless.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Korly View Post
    Brettmatic got a Saturn during the super secret early launch which was awesome except for the fact that he neglected to buy a second controller so we just had to take turns fighting the CPU in Virtua Fighter.
    Ha, I remember that shit, I ended up buying Panzer Dragoon instead of an extra controller. That shit was expensive and we were like thirteen...I got an extra controller a week later after getting my paper route money...I ended up getting every shitty game that came out over the next several months after that, fond memories of busting out Sawada on SF the movie

God, the saturn had some crappy now, but good at the time games.

Remember Robotecka or whatever? Where you're this small robot in a space satellite.

Talk about repetitive.

I wish Sega would remake Panzer Dragoon Saga with a real budget. The scope and vastness of that game was so amazing for its time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    God, the saturn had some crappy now, but good at the time games.

Remember Robotecka or whatever? Where you're this small robot in a space satellite.

Talk about repetitive.
    I don't speak in your tongues but yes I remember that game. The Saturn could do many things other systems couldn't do.

10. Probably the only Saturn sports game worth a darn, and also, the best baseball game of its era:

SEGA baseball games went to shit once they moved to the Dreamcast and they never recovered even after they renamed the series 2K Baseball.