Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123457 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Reminisce: Sega Saturn

1. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I still don't get one thing. Virtua Fighter 2 was the best looking home console game for a very, very long time on any system, and it ran at 60 FPS on the system with weaker 3D. What gives? It's like, I played it and thought, "Wow, the next generation looks AWESOME." and then nothing else (not even from Sega) was even close outside of the arcade.
    Pretty much all of the 3d high res (well, interlaced, at least) 60fps Saturn games are impressive as hell to me. VF2, Dead or Alive, Winter Heat, Decathlete, Last Bronx, and Anarchy in the Nippon. I guess All Star Japan Wrestling does this, too (according to google). Maybe there are others?
    Last edited by Tain; 17 May 2012 at 06:37 PM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I still don't get one thing. Virtua Fighter 2 was the best looking home console game for a very, very long time on any system, and it ran at 60 FPS on the system with weaker 3D. What gives? It's like, I played it and thought, "Wow, the next generation looks AWESOME." and then nothing else (not even from Sega) was even close outside of the arcade.
    This is true. I'm watching YouTube vids of it right now and it still holds up pretty well. The only PSX fighters I remember looking as good were the Tobal games.

3. When I think of the Saturn, I think of Princess Crown. Did anyone here play it? I think it's one of the best looking games of all time.

4. I played it and loved it. Sold it for a tidy sum.
    Was all excited when they announced a semi sequel/spiritual successor for the PS2.
    We all know how great that turned out.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    What was really weird was that they went from VF1 (which was a glitchy mess, although it played right) to VFR to VF2 in the span of like, 8 months.
    This is seriously the greatest thing about the 32 bit era, it like coders were on 24-hour crack fueled programming marathons. I think the first import I got for Saturn was arcade perfect Outrun. Good times.

Yoshi totally nailed it for me. I didn't get into the Saturn until way late because I was balls deep in Nintendo Kool-aid.

The PS was the first system I bought for myself and that wasn't until after the DS controller was introduced. I must've been 18 or 19 at the time. Since Nintendo Power didn't cut it anymore, I started looking for other gaming magazines and that's when I came across GF.

I remember the primary reason for me buying a Saturn were the Capcom fighting games. I had been playing Xmen vs and MSH vs SF at the college's game room, and when I tried out the PS version of MSH vs SF I was horrified by how limited the port was.

I picked up a white, switch-modded Saturn and started a cycle of saving up money to buy imported Capcom games, which then led to a large variety of import titles. The only local games I had were the Panzer Dragoons, Clockwork Knights, EWJ 2, GH, Astal, Burning Rangers and a couple of others.

I still love the system and continue to buy the odd game for it from time to time.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I played it and loved it. Sold it for a tidy sum.
    Was all excited when they announced a semi sequel/spiritual successor for the PS2.
    We all know how great that turned out.
    The upcoming Dragons Crown for PS3/Vita is somehow related to Princess Crown, right?

8. Nah, thats a different game whose title now escapes me. The 2d joint with crazy proportioned bitches. I mean witches.

edit: Dragon's Crown.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 18 May 2012 at 11:09 AM.

9. Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga are amazing. They also make my eyes bleed. Aside from that there's Guardian Heroes, Silhouette Mirage, D&D, and maybe a couple others that still hold up.

For all the shooter love it had it lacks any of the ones that I would still actually sit down and play (ESP series, Ikaruga, etc.) or has better versions on other systems (DDP) so that's pretty much out. The fighting game lineup was amazing at the time but aside from Vampire Savior it doesn't really have anything worth it anymore in that genre either.

It was a good system at the time and I definitely had fun with some god-awful games like Die Hard Trilogy and Scud, but it just doesn't hold up over time to me as a system to go back to.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    when I tried out the PS version of MSH vs SF I was horrified by how limited the port was.
    I bought this after I already owned the Saturn XvsSF. Imagine my horror! I still have it in a box somewhere, the only reason I don't deeply regret my full retail price purchase is because my wallet was stolen the next day.