Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234568 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Reminisce: Sega Saturn

1. I got my Saturn at launch. I walked into EB in May and an employee was stacking boxes to make the window display. I was like "WTF? This is here already?" I had to trade in about a dozen Genesis games and sell my Sega CD and Genesis, but I managed to get a bit more than half of the $430 launch price. A friend of mine completed the total, and we bought the console. I eventually bought out his part and had the Saturn all to myself. Another friend bought Clockwork Knight, Daytona, and Panzer Dragoon, and we stayed up all night playing Virtua Fighter.

I had to buy a new console (model 2) in '98 when I tossed my controller and hit the door on the Saturn (thanks a lot Samurai Shodown RPG!), causing the machine to not recognize that the tray door was closed. If only I had known what an easy fix it was! Anyway, I still have that model 2 to this day, and I have around 70 games (mostly domestic and all the final releases save for House of the Dead). Import games are waaaay too expensive for me, and I'm not all that into collecting for it anyway, since over the years I've played just about everything the console has to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    For all the shooter love it had it lacks any of the ones that I would still actually sit down and play (ESP series, Ikaruga, etc.) or has better versions on other systems (DDP) so that's pretty much out.
    STRIKERS 1945
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    STRIKERS 1945
    Worth it just for the ending screens.

It's a wonder the planes ever achieved escape velocity with those huge bags of sand weighing them down.

5. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Probably not, as the gaming public in general doesn't remember Fighting Vipers or Megamix. It's a shame too, I always loved the way Megamix played, but it was pretty ugly even at release.

I still don't get one thing. Virtua Fighter 2 was the best looking home console game for a very, very long time on any system, and it ran at 60 FPS on the system with weaker 3D. What gives? It's like, I played it and thought, "Wow, the next generation looks AWESOME." and then nothing else (not even from Sega) was even close outside of the arcade.
    VF1 for Saturn was outsourced, and rushed to make the Japanese launch. VF2 Saturn was done in house by the best coders Saga had available.

Shou anyone play this? I really want this game. The Saturn excels at Imports, 2D and tranparencies which the PS1 couldn't produce, also the N64 took a lot away from the Saturn. The Sega CD and the 32X killed the American Saturn which is the sad truth given how great the Sega CD, was the final 3 games not counting Rayearth were too late sadly.

7. It was the other way around as far as transparencies went.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    STRIKERS 1945
    Don't ask me why that reminded me of this, but I forgot Vampire Savior was ported to DC and PS2 with a bunch of new options (though the DC one has slowdown).

9. The DC one is Vampire Chronicle, though.

10. But you can still play Vampire Savior with it.