Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 111314151617 LastLast

Thread: Let's Reminisce: Sega Saturn

1. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    The problem is that for whatever reason people who had an SNES and PS1 seem to be ignorant about everything else far too often. Unlike any other era, there were four very, very solid platforms from 1990-1995. And I still contend the SNES is the worst of those four unless you just had to play a large quantity of RPGs. The Saturn and N64 weren't slouches either. If someone went Genesis to Saturn and didn't know shit else, I'd have the same issue, but that doesn't seem to happen anywhere near as often.
    First of all, your list of 'solid' platforms is ridiculous (Neo Geo, lol).

Second of all, this is just lame. Your definition of "ignorance" seems to be "doesn't know much about the Genesis games I played." That's pretty self-serving.

And I would call the Saturn a slouch, at least in the US. I didn't know many satisfied Saturn owners by 1997.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 24 May 2012 at 04:12 PM.

Nope, your post certainly fits my definition, so it's not limited to Genesis games.

3. I get less and less sure about my stance on the Mega Drive and SFC as time goes on, and it's because I'm still running into great SFC action games that I had never played.

Neo Geo has some excellent games. The genre spread is narrow, sure, but the genres it excels in are great ones. Not sure if I'd put its library above the rest, but it's not crazy to me.

And focusing on US libraries is boring. Hindsight is awesome.

Any examples of the SFC action games?

Very loosely related: I just realized Space Megaforce isn't on Virtual Console. Damn it.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 24 May 2012 at 05:16 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    Neo Geo has some excellent games. The genre spread is narrow, sure, but the genres it excels in are great ones. Not sure if I'd put its library above the rest, but it's not crazy to me.
    The library isn't crazy at all. Neo Geo was an awesome system. What is crazy is considering it anything other than a niche platform for arcade purists with entirely too much money on their hands. Its price prohibited it from ever becoming more than a curiosity.

Edit: And as fond as I am of the PCE, the same goes for the CD attachment/Duo. NEC should have done better than they did with the Turbografx, but much like with the Saturn, it was handled extremely poorly in the west.
    Last edited by No One; 24 May 2012 at 05:20 PM.

15 years ago that was true, but now there are Mega Drive, PC Engine, and Super Famicom games that are just as expensive as the MVS carts. Obviously anyone dropping two grand on a US Metal Slug AES is dumbass, but but thankfully there are official alternatives.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Any examples of the SFC action games?
    Skyblazer!

I suspect his are lesser known, or at least I am hoping they are.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    15 years ago that was true, but now there are Mega Drive, PC Engine, and Super Famicom games that are just as expensive as the MVS carts. Obviously anyone dropping two grand on a US Metal Slug AES is dumbass, but but thankfully there are official alternatives.
    I agree, but I'm speaking more in terms of how it was perceived at the time. I absolutely adore the Neo, but nobody was buying that shit back then. In the early 90s there were really only two gaming camps despite there being alternatives.
    Last edited by No One; 24 May 2012 at 05:27 PM.

Yeah, no doubt. I knew a guy with a Turbo CD when it was new, but I didn't know anyone with a Neo. I finally got the CD one in 1995 or 1996 as my first foray.

edit: It's interesting how a thread specifically about a 32-bit system has reverted to gaming's golden age that preceded it. No complaints here.

edit2: More stream of consciousness... I really want more GBA games on the 3DS eShop, as I really viewed the GBA as a continuation of the 16-bit days.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 24 May 2012 at 05:47 PM.