Page 4 of 305 FirstFirst ... 23456818 ... LastLast

Thread: Official NES/ SNES Classic Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    Edit: Did you people not read Nintendo Power? Shatterhand was a big deal in it.
    I knew about it but completely forgot it existed until this thread.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 21 May 2012 at 11:17 AM.

2. I think I understand the nostalgic reasons to own an actual NES, especially for people who have children and want to show them what it was like in the old days. But as far as the actual playing of games goes I have no idea why someone would do this. On emulators you get better control (and control options) VASTLY superior video, and most importantly for adults SAVE STATES.
    Also, that shit works everytime you load it.

3. I bought a new 72 pin connector off Amazon, other than that, any other mods worth mentioning?

Nes emulation is better than most, but it still doesn't feel the same. I certainly play some otherwise bad games for nostalgia reasons, but I still find new games all the time that are excellent. That game Yoshi picked for the gaming club last year was a good example, I can't think of the name right now but it was awesome, and I had never heard of it.

5. The emulators fool us, the NES never looked as good as they do, and like I said before, the sound sounds better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    I bought a new 72 pin connector off Amazon, other than that, any other mods worth mentioning?
    You can disable the lockout chip while you are in there, it's really easy. That will prevent the random blinking. I can find some instructions later.

Aside from that... not much that's worth doing. If you play Japanese games or THE EVIL PIRATE DEVICE THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED NOR RECOMMENDED, there is a simple audio mod to enable the extra sounds in a few games, but it is not needed for strictly US play.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Korly View Post
    I think I understand the nostalgic reasons to own an actual NES, especially for people who have children and want to show them what it was like in the old days. But as far as the actual playing of games goes I have no idea why someone would do this. On emulators you get better control (and control options) VASTLY superior video, and most importantly for adults SAVE STATES.
    Also, that shit works everytime you load it.
    I love emulators, I use them all the time, and I agree with a lot of this, but the real hardware and SDTV combo gives you the best visuals, with no lag or screen tearing (which are issues common to pretty much any kind of NES emulation). Save states aren't a big loss at all, either, as I have no need to cheat and no problems leaving a console on for ages.

As it stands, I like owning physical copies of games that I consider great or really want to play, and I love how this stuff looks on an SD screen, so I'm frequently playing on original hardware lately. If a game is stupid rare or I need to play it immediately or whatever, though, I will emulate it and have pretty much no issue doing so.

Nostalgia doesn't come into any of this at all, though I see how it could for some.
    Last edited by Tain; 21 May 2012 at 11:37 AM.

Whenever I try to play a game with dat emulation, all I end up doing is looking at the thousands of games I could be playing.

9. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    You can disable the lockout chip while you are in there, it's really easy. That will prevent the random blinking. I can find some instructions later.

Aside from that... not much that's worth doing. If you play Japanese games or THE EVIL PIRATE DEVICE THAT SHALL NOT BE NAMED NOR RECOMMENDED, there is a simple audio mod to enable the extra sounds in a few games, but it is not needed for strictly US play.
    I saw a youtube about the lockout. What audio are you talking about?

10. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Whenever I try to play a game with dat emulation, all I end up doing is looking at the thousands of games I could be playing.
    This is me, 100%