Page 13 of 305 FirstFirst ... 911121314151727 ... LastLast

Thread: Official NES/ SNES Classic Thread

Basewars up in hurr

2. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    For Castlevania 3, it was the same thing. I tried so hard to finish that game without a password and I got so damn good at avoiding enemies I made it through a good chunk before getting touched. Once I got Alucard, though, I got reckless. I am pretty sure I didn't even get to the castle. And who the fuck could remember that silly password? Sad, too, since it was probably a kickass game.
    Help me.

I see what you did there.

4. I didn't. What's he on about?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    All of this talk is going to make me break out my NES. I imagine it will look like Satan's butthole on my hdtv. Can anyone confirm?
    it will for sure look uggo and have some lag, but it'll probably look better than earlier 3D games would

SDTV, crazy-ass dedicated scaler, or emulate, imo

6. My first ever non-pack-in game was Strider. That game took mooooooonnnnthhhhs to finish. And then there was Castlevania III. It took me a full year to beat it. Six months to get Dracula with Sypha. Then another six months to start over again and use Grant because I couldn't beat Dracula with Sypha. (I especially had no idea what the fuck I was doing in point-and-click adventure games. And then, in pre-teens, there was BioForge. Took me an ungodly period of time to complete. Oh yeah, and fuck Return to Zork. I'm still angry about that piece of shit.)

I'd just make notebooks full of tips and cheats, find all those crappy Jeff Rovin "How to Win at Nintendo Books," and scrounge for clues. It took me a while to get decent, and then really good at video games. I was a late bloomer.

The thing is, I had sooooo much time to dedicate to playing video games. So much trial and error. But that was my world. I don't regret doing any of that stuff as a kid. Play outside all fucking day in the summer, and then come home and crank the NES until 4 in the morning.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 30 May 2012 at 12:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I didn't. What's he on about?
    If you put in HELPME! (I think that's it), you get a bonus to start the game. I can't recall if it was lives, hearts, or what.

8. 10 lives instead of 3.

The Japanese game was crazy easy. Japanese developers got it in their heads that Americans LOVE insanely tough challenges, so they bumped up the difficultly for the NES version. They put in the code to balance it out.

9. Same thing happened with Ninja Gaiden 3 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco Bold View Post
    10 lives instead of 3.

The Japanese game was crazy easy. Japanese developers got it in their heads that Americans LOVE insanely tough challenges, so they bumped up the difficultly for the NES version. They put in the code to balance it out.
    Yep. I was just reading about the differences between Bloodlines and Contra: Hard Corps on Genesis vs. Mega Drive, and it's the same story there. Hard Corps actually gives you a life gauge on Mega Drive!