Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yakuza 5 (PS3)

Yakuza 5 (PS3)

Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    PlayStation 3 exclusive Yakuza 5 features five main characters and is set in five cities: Sapporo, Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka and Fukuoka.

The five main characters are Kazuma Kiryu, Taiga Saejima, Shun Akiyama, Haruka and Tatsuo Shinada, according to Japanese magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang). All five are playable.

Shinada, a former baseball player, is the newcomer. He was slapped with a life ban for gambling, but apparently he's innocent. And in debt.

Kiryu is working as a taxi driver in Fukuoka. Soejima is doing time behind bars. Akiyama is in Osaka on business. Haruka left Okinama to become an idol, and is living on her own in Osaka. It seems her talent agency has some nefarious plan for her. The story connects directly with Yakuza 4.

Designer Toshihiro Nagoshi said the game uses a new engine, which means zombie spin-off Yakuza of the End marks the end of the engine that served the series so well. Because of this, Yakuza 5 is considered a "New Yakuza", with better controls, and a bigger and better script.

Yakuza 5 is 70 per cent complete. It's out in Japan on PlayStation 3 in December.
    Link

This one should have been saved for the PS4 in my opinion, though that sentiment may be influenced by the fact that I am not caught up with the series yet.

2. Should really pick up Yakuza 3/4 while they are sub $20, still amazed Sega keeps pumping these games out.

3. It fits, though. 2 on the PS2, 2 on the PS3 (Dead Souls doesn't count because it isn't real). They can release the next ten fucking Yakuzas on the PS3 for all I care, so long as they keep coming stateside.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

This uses a new engine, which is good news but makes the decision to keep it on PS3 even more curious. PC version a la Binary Domain please.

5. I gave up on this series about a half way through the 3rd. Too many bullshit "real life" moments ("let's go for a walk through the market before you go!" "Let's play baseball!") wasting my time instead of cracking out skulls and stepping on backs, and a convoluted plot, made me throw up my hands and cry "uncle."

6. I have the first 3 games just sitting on my shelf. I liked what I played of the first, but I haven't gotten around to really devoting time to them. Are they as Shenmue-ish as everyone says?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I have the first 3 games just sitting on my shelf. I liked what I played of the first, but I haven't gotten around to really devoting time to them. Are they as Shenmue-ish as everyone says?
    Yes and no. There's no in-game clock, and the world isn't as interactive, but there is a lot more action. If I had to be completely honest, I would say it is an overall better experience than Shenmue.

I'm going to take a scalding hot shower now.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    I have the first 3 games just sitting on my shelf. I liked what I played of the first, but I haven't gotten around to really devoting time to them. Are they as Shenmue-ish as everyone says?
    Not really. Basically substitute all the silly bits from Shenmue (like Lucky Hit, catching leaves) with hitting people over the head with bicycles. Those silly bits do give Shenmue character but Yakuza is much more visceral/entertaining.

9. new engine is great, PC version would be crazy. And five cities? Probably going to play this.