Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Shin Megami Tensei 4 3DS

1. Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    I would be super impressed if you can get through all that megaten. I have never been strong enough to play them without some years spacing them out.
    Diablo has helped weather the kick I was on.

I had finished DS:Overclocked, DS2, Strange Journey, and had put in roughly 30 hours into Nocturne all in the last 6 months. Part of it is having a strong mastery of the games now. Though my mastery turned out to be a waste in the first two games because the main characters don't get magic hah. And strange journey was weird because your magic is determined by your strength stat, not your magic stat.

I still don't know why they didn't just refer to Strange Journey as SMT4. It was missing a few things like selecting your own stats... and that's really most of it.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I enjoy everything about this series more than Persona so far, so if they have to keep one splinter on the platform I don't own (Vita), that's a good one to pick. Nintendo's promise to load up the 3DS with third party goodness is coming true in spades, and we're not even to E3 yet.
    So you're happy this is coming to the least powerful current-gen platform?

You confuse the hell out of me sometimes.

3. I too wish it was coming out on console. But calling the 3DS a current-gen platform brings about a weird point.

It's not really current gen, it's next gen. It is just getting started, and will be around longer than the PS3 and 360 will be (Wii is last gen). Handhelds are more than ever, shifting to a completely different timeline, the 3DS will die before the generation after next comes to us, but live well into the next generation.

The 3DS can put out some pretty looking graphics, but in my heart of hearts I wanted a big, fat, super-high production values game in the vein of Nocturne, which is possibly the best looking of all the SMT games ever. The rest all use cheap, continuously recycled art assets to create a great story but not much flair. It's all good, but I wanted something to come from the Catherine experiment. Something shiny and awesome.

Maybe that can still be the rumored Persona 5.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

5. I agree, I was just clarifying that it's technically "current" technology and not in danger of being phased out like the DS, PSP, and Wii.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    The 3DS can put out some pretty looking graphics, but in my heart of hearts I wanted a big, fat, super-high production values game in the vein of Nocturne, which is possibly the best looking of all the SMT games ever. The rest all use cheap, continuously recycled art assets to create a great story but not much flair. It's all good, but I wanted something to come from the Catherine experiment. Something shiny and awesome.

Maybe that can still be the rumored Persona 5.
    This is exactly how I feel. A full-blown numbered SMT sequel using Catherine's engine could have been incredible. MegaTen games almost always have amazing art design, and it's a shame that it's so often confined to tiny screens and underpowered tech.
    Last edited by No One; 30 May 2012 at 06:59 PM.

6. Yeah I'm definitely on board with you guys.

Also the site is up: http://megaten4.jp/

Doesn't reveal anything but it looks like some fields, with what looks like a castle town that has skyscrapers? So a castle city

I think I just realized why they couldn't consider Strange Journey part of the main series. There was no real goddess, it was completely lacking the Megami part

7. I think the official reason is that it didn't take place in Japan, which is some sort of prerequisite for a proper sequel.

Racists

8. Quote Originally Posted by Thief Silver View Post
    I think I just realized why they couldn't consider Strange Journey part of the main series. There was no real goddess, it was completely lacking the Megami part
    Also, the developers have mentioned how the main game always has to take place in Tokyo and Strange Journey didn't.

...and Nocturne was a lot better.

edit: Oh god so late.

9. Small teaser trailer, due out 2013: